is a 1954 Hudson Hollywood Hornet 2dr rare?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am trying to buy a 1954 Hudson Hollywood Hornet 2dr Hard Top car. I don't know what i should pay for it because i haven't ever done much work on hudsons. The body has alot of surface rust and the chrome is pitted. I believe the original motor is in it but it doenst run. The interior is all there but it would need some serious work. If anyone has an idea of what this car should be worth please let me know. My email address is evecustoms@hotmail.com. The owner said that he would sell it to me for 2k to 3k. Is that worth it? Please let me know if there is anyother information that you need to know in assessing the value of the car. Thanks all.

Valerio Edwin CEO of EVE Customs

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    $2,000 to 3,000 sounds reasonable for a Hollywood (Hudson hardtop) if the body is solid, but you should carefully inspect the perimeter frame starting at both wheel wells, and back. If this is badly rusted you will be spending a lot of your time in frame repair (or money, if you're not good at welding).
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    I agree about the price with Jon. If the body and quarters are solid it may be pushed to $3500 Hollywoods are are a slightly upgrade from to a 2 door hornet on appeal and therefore slightly more desirable. Plenty of good chrome around for 54's out there
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    The last time I looked..a quick survey of the Roster for Florida showed about 7 or 8 in Florida. I am doing one right now. I would be interested in it for parts! Good Luck.

Dave W. Fl
  • I am trying to buy a 1954 Hudson Hollywood Hornet 2dr Hard Top car. I don't know what i should pay for it because i haven't ever done much work on hudsons. The body has alot of surface rust and the chrome is pitted. I believe the original motor is in it but it doenst run. The interior is all there but it would need some serious work. If anyone has an idea of what this car should be worth please let me know. My email address is evecustoms@hotmail.com. The owner said that he would sell it to me for 2k to 3k. Is that worth it? Please let me know if there is anyother information that you need to know in assessing the value of the car. Thanks all.

Valerio Edwin CEO of EVE Customs
    Edwin:

The Hollywood was a companion to the convertible for Hudsons and is a premier model. I have no idea where you are located nor where your car has roamed in it's life. What I do know is that what ever you decide... take the time to inspect the car carefully. 1948-1954 Hudson Stepdowns do not have a frame in the classic sense. These cars are unit body construction with a front frame stub connected to the body. The rear of the body is build on a folded metal that acts as a freme. Albeit strong it is very vulnerable to rust and was not protected from the factory against rust out. At the least place the car on ramps or jack stand. Using a strong light and an awl or similar pointed metal probe inspect all of the frame members. The 54 is unique among the Stepdowns as it ahs welded on rocker panels ... these tend to cause the frame under the doors to rust dues to the closed in panels. In any case all but the worst of the cars should be repairable. The following pictures are a car that Hudson Hobbiest Randy Owen of Alabama restored. As you can see the car he bought had extensive rust and body damage. Using a good body man and a rust free donor car he returned what was a potential juckyard victim into a very nice restored car.
    923hudrearview-thumb.jpg92hhwwws6-thumb.jpg922sectionrepair54Holly-thumb.jpg

These picture give you an idea of the type of work that can be done. If you are a body person ... then you will have the skills to complete this daunting task!

Good Luck

Ken in Waco Texas
  • Hi.,--- There was a #1 restored 54 Hollywood that sold for $25,000.00 at last years national. Thought this may give you some insight into value.
This discussion has been closed.