BRAKE FLUID

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
IS THERE ANY CERTAIN KIND OF BRAKE FLUID USED IN STEP DOWNS, OR IS BRAKE FLUID JUST BRAKE FLUID?

Comments

• No, just regular brake fluid. However, you might want to consider changing to silicone brake fluid (I did about 10 years ago). Silcone does not absorb water as easily as regular fluid does, resulting in less corrosion in your system. There does seem to be a problem with some of the Hudson hydraulically operated brake switches leaking with the silicone, but not Hudsons with the mechanical brake switches. Of course if you switch to silicone you must completely purge the old brake fluid from every part of the system prior to adding the silicone.
  • I wonder if silicone brake fluid will leak from the brake light switch on a '54?
  • It might, but you should definitely ask someone acquainted with '54's. My '37 has a brake light switch that is not connected to the hydraulic system, so no danger of it leaking.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    The leaking from the switch is not a property of the year. It depends on the manufacturer of the switch. I have changed my 54 to Sil. B.F only to have the original switch fail. I then went to NAPA and got a new switch. No more problems.

Lewis Mendenhall
  • Silcone fluid will leak where regular fluid wont. Eery fitting and such has to be perfect. Bk. TN.
  • If your 54 has power brakes, forget the silicone fluid, as it expands as it warms up and your brakes will lock up. shocked.gif
This discussion has been closed.