Re-topping a Step-Down convertible

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Yesterday I helped a friend put a new canvas top on his '54 Hornet. I volunteered my services since I'd done a couple old car tops in my life, but it was a case of the blind leading the blind and real learning experience for everyone, LOL!

The Hudson body manual was quite helpful, but not everything was there; I guess they assumed a bit of expertise on the readers' part (silly them!).

Anyway, now that we're mostly done, I wondered if I could ask some advice from Hudsonites who have actually re-topped their own cars (or carefully watched the local upholsterer do theirs). I realize that most of Hudson owners simply entrust this job to professionals (which is probably the sane thing to do, but who said Hudson owners were sane?).

Here are my questions:

1). Is there a top pad running from the last top bow, down to the rear deck? Or does all padding run just between the front and rear bows?

2). Is there any further reinforcement running from the last top bow, down to the deck -- besides the top itself, and the rear curtain?

3). Should the ready-made top have had some sort of concealed canvas flap for installing the two snaps on each side (over windows and doors) that engage the snap slides on the top irons? We found a double layer of canvas running along the bottom edge of each side of the canvas top, but it's stitched up. with no way to 'get in'. I can't figure a way to install snaps without the snaps penetrating the outer layer of fabric.

4). Who invented that %$#@! front stainless trim strip retainer, on the front top bow (header)? Did he dutifully commit hara-keri in penance for his sins?

5). There is a strange system for holding both sides of the canvas rear quarters, to the car. It consists of thin tabs of rigid plastic sewn to the inside of the top, that engages metal slots on the beltline and rear quarter top irons. (See 3, below) When we snugged the canvas into the slots as indicated and pulled tight, the fabric portion running above the rear curtain wasn't tight (see 1, below). If you pulled outward on both side quarters, this center section tightened up -- but then the quarters were no longer tight in their retaining slots. In old fashioned tops, you tacked from the center outward, tacking and trimming each quarter panel, so everything was tight all the way across. In the StepDowns you work from the sides in (evidently), resulting in 'slop' at the middle. Woops! Is there some sort of adjustment that helps pull the quarter panels outward, in order for a tight fit?

6. Likewise, when we were finished, there seemed to be a tad bit of extra material (a lump, if you will) that wouldn't pull tight, up at the outer top edges of the rear top bow (see 2, below). Pulling the canvas quarter panels outwards, didn't seem to reduce these two little lumps.

The car's owner will be doing some 'tweaking' over the next few days, and any advice will certainly be appreciated!

In the photo: (3) when the concealed tabs here and here, are seated correctly.... (1) then, this portion of the top does not pull tight, and (2) there is a 'lump' right here! (Note that neither the Hidem welt along the top of the rear bow, nor the stainless stl. trim strip covering tacks at rear deck, has yet been installed )
This discussion has been closed.