Essex 28 super6 water temperature

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello,

I got my Essex back from the mechanic today and I took it for a drive.

He fitted a new water temperature gauge,there was not any, and I get temperatures up to 105 degc.

Is it normal? What is the normal temperature for this car?

There is no water pump on this model.

Regards,

Frixos

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Right off the bat I'd say that's pretty low. After all, YOU come close to 105 degrees yourself!
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    Could he have installed a 12V gauge on a 6Vsystem?
  • No , it is a bulb mercury thermometer and the scale is degrees celcius
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    105 celcius = 221 farenheit! That's higher than boiling (about 212 farenheit). Have you had the radiator tested?
  • Not yet planning to have it checked next week.

But what is the normal you get with this car which has a natural circulation cooling system?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Frixos,

If it's anything like the early Model T Ford with no water pump, it relies on the water boiling to cause a thermo syphone action. Boiling water gets light, goes up into the upper radiator, gets cooled a bit by the radiator , gets heavy and it falls down to the lower part of the radiator, then back into the block. Kinda crude, but it works. Just take some extra water with you when you go any distance. Fords tend to use water and the Essex probably isn't any different..So depending where the temperature is being measured, yes you will see boiling temperatures.

Live in the Past ....It's cheaper..Dave W. Fl.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    My 28 will run hot, around 200,if I use antifreeze in warm weather, I live in a cold climate, so I only use the antifreeze in cold weather. In the spring I put water in with an antirust liquid, to keep the cast iron block from rusting, and the temp runs around 180. That should be about normal.
  • Thanks.

I will have the radiator cleaned inside probably there is some scale build up.

Hopefully will bring the temperature around 200 or cooling will be faster.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    I have a 28 coach and two years ago had the gauge rebuilt. The car commonly runs between 190-200 and sometimes goes a litte higher for a short time yet the radiator has never boiled. The car runs very well and has done many 100 mile plus trips. Curiously at times on a long hill in second the temp drops slightly and then rises again on the flat! Anyone know why that would be?

Alistair. NZ
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Alistair, might that be because the fan is turning much faster in second (going up the hill) than it is in third (on the straightaway)?
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Thanks Jon, I does make sence re the fan speed but I would have thought that usually cars would get hotter with working harder on an incline. It is not a concern, more a curiosity as all is working well.

Alistair
This discussion has been closed.