40 Overdrive

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi Guys;

I'm looking for some OD trouble shooting. I have installed a rebuilt OD and I can't get the OD to engage!

I have followed the 40 OD instruction with the manual lever pushed in and going 30 to 35 mph, I let up on the gas peddle and it doesn't engage . Any Ideas? Could the pawl be stuck in the out position (wich is direct drive)? Can I remove the solonoid to check the movement of the pawl without problems of getting it back in? I have talked with Al saffrahn, but he really couldn't shed any light on the subject.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Gene.

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Why not hook up a light bulb wired from the governor thru the bulb to ground. If it lights, the relay, kickdown, OD lockout sw, and governor are working and it's either the solenoid or the OD itself. If no light, one of the other things is holding up the signal. Of course, make sure the manual lever is actually shifting the OD unit.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    If that's a '40 overdrtive unit, they work a bit differently than the later ones most of us are familiar with. Check with Jon Battle, who has a '40 unit in his '37T.
This discussion has been closed.