Transmission fluid

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just got my hydramatic transmission back from the shop and I noticed that the repairman used Type F transmission fluid. I've always been told that Type A (Dextron) transmssion fluid should be used in GM transmissions. Should I make him replace the F with the A?

Jason

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Are you sure that Type F was used? That fluid has been off of the market for quite a while. The replacement for Type A, which has also been off of the market for some time, is Dexron. Dexron is what should be used. It comes in Type II and Type III. Either is fine. Dexron/Mercon blend will also work. To replace the fluid completely the torque converter must be drained as that is where most of the fluid is. If your guy still had Type F on hand he must not do too much transmission work.
  • that's funny,last time i serviced a hydra-matic i went to the auto parts store and picked up a can of Trans-X (which actually works) and a case of type F (Chevron,since it was on sale,and the damn thing takes 11 quarts) since i had to drop the pan to clean it out and adjust the bands.

maybe you were thinking of the old whale oil based stuff?

BTW it's a FLUID COUPLER contained in the TORUS COVER not a torque convertor.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    There are two bottles of Advanced Auto transmission fluid, Type F, lying in the floorboard that he didn't use. Since Advance Auto hasn't been around for 50 years, I assume they still make the stuff. I will, however, tell him to replace it with Dextron. This guy probably replaces four or five transmissions a day. The transmission works real well, it's just that I wasn't sure if the brand of fluid is correct.
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    http://www.atra.com. is a place to find out the right answer. Dexron III is fine but today all Tranny manufactures make their own type of fluid. F and M and A are still used and made. Dexron 3 is best for GM's Older Trans. Bobby
  • Absolutely, Or You Change It To Dextron 2 Or 3, Gm Type Bill Albright
This discussion has been closed.