1941 HUDSON WOODY - Is this for real or a custom?

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Probably real. Hudson offered woody wagons from the mid 30's through '47, I believe. I know of a '37, '39 (Hedley Bennett's in Ontario, a real 'driver'!), this '41, and a couple '42's. Most of these are now restored. This one seems a bit pricey....will you want them to wrap it, or will you be driving it home?
  • rambos_ride
    I wish I had that kinda spare change laying around for an extra car!

Just trying to learn some more about Hudson history - it's nice to know there are some rare ones out there still.

I'm surprised they don't try and put it in a Barrett-Jackson Auction a custom 49 went for 81K this year.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    $135,000 for that station wagon isn't hi - there was that 1927 Hudson tourer that went for $165,000 out of the Amelia Island auction recently - and that, from the description, was basically a repli-car. Crazy.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Less than a replicar, really ... a latter-year creation of a really nifty vehicle which never existed originally (I understand four were made, in Australia).
  • yoy guys are all wrong, I bought this 41 WOODY IN 1983 FROM BOB WEBER OF CISCO ILL, WEHO GOT IT FROM AGNES MOORHEADS CHAUFFER IN ZANESVILL OHIO. WHERE SHE HAD A FARM. iT TOOK ME TEN YEARS TO RESTORE IT/i SHOWED IT AT THE 93 nATIONALS IN sAC, CAL AND ALSO SHOWED IT AT PEBBLE BEACH, THE SAME YEAR. SOLD ILT AFTER I HAD A STROKE 3 YEARS AGO TO DAVID MURDOCH OF BEVERLY HILLS FOR 52k. IT IS THE REAL THING. SEVERAL DOZEN WERE BUILT ON HUDSON CHASSIS BY CAMPBELL WOOD WORKS IN NY. I HAD THE PLEASURE OF OWNING IT FOR 15 YEARS, APPEARS ON THE COVER OF A WTN IN 93, HUDSONS FOREVER, BILL ALBRIGHT, VINTAGE COACH, FONTANA, CAL
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Bill,

I think you miss understood the above posts. They were referencing the Amelia Island Sale of a 1927 Tourer..... a totaly different car than the Woody. We all agree the Wagon is authentic.

Respectfully... Dave W.
  • Super to see your car again Bill! I have a different set of memories than many who post here might have, you had that vehicle on a trailer behind your motor home the spring your bought it. I first saw the car on the trailer at PATES SWAP MEET in Cresson Texas. You were making your way home after purchasing the car. It is a FAR CRY from what it was on that trailer... I have pictures of it some where... Woodies are just so rare and to see one redone as well as you did this one is a treat! Thanks again for being tenacious and restoring that car.

Ken
  • rambos_ride
    I'm 42'ish and just starting out with my first Hudson (a 49 Commodore, about 8 months into it) - I bought it sight-unseen, except the pictures on ebay. I've never even driven one or ridden in any type of Hudson - yet!

The owner of the car delivered it personally to my home from CA. He told me something that stuck in my mind and you guys have just proven it to be true.

He told me that wherever I go with the Hudson people will wave, want to stop to look and take pictures and have many stories of trips they took in Hudsons or a Hudson they have owned at one time.

I originally started this post about the Woody because I thought the car looked awesome and of my desire to learn more about Hudsons and you guys have proven, yet again, to be a wealth of knowledge and have some great stories about these wonderful automobiles!

Everyone pat themselves on the back!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Oh darn - now I got to go to my Hudson web site and edit the captions I put on the station wagon (you can find it under Miscellaneous Hudson Photos) to reflect the info Bill A posted. Thanks Bill - the more info the better.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Side note on Bill's response. I live about 40 minutes from CISCO IL. Bob Weber passes away about 5 years ago. I went through his garage in the mid eighties and he had around 30-40 hudson's out there. Majority of them, 54's, sat outside and were rusted out pretty well. After he passed away his two sons sold off or took the cars to the salvage to be destroyed. I bought a couple of 54's that were in decent shape and some motors. One son still hs 3-4 hudsons in his garage about 2 miles from Cisco. I walk through there a couple of years ago and he had a real nice 39 hudson all original and to my surprise a early 40's hudson panel car. I dont know much about them but it apperared to be solid. The catch is he chopped the top and I dont know if it can be restored to original or not but it was an interesting looking car. He also had a 54 hornet special outside coupe which was not in the greatest shape but did have a very nice and solid dent free continental kit on back. At that time he wanted $2000 for the 54.I didn't ask about the panel truck/car which I assume are pretty rare.

He is a litle different to put it mildly. If someone is interested in these cars let me know , it been a couple of years but can take a drive over there and take som pics.

Russ
  • Thanks For The Kind Words, It Was A Challenge To Do The Woody, But Worth All The Effort When I Showed It At Pebble Beach In The Estate Wagon Class In 93, Wish I Had It Back, Bill Albright
This discussion has been closed.