308 Engine Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have 308 engines in both of my '54s. I don't think either engine is original to the car. My Super Wasp (didn't they come with 252s?) engine number is 6309879. My Hornet Special is painted red over gold which makes me think it's an earlier engine, it's engine number is 6306980. Is thier a serial list out there anywhere that can identify 308 engines by the year of manufacture? Thanks, Mike.

m.rosseau@comcast.net

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    My understanding was that, after the early 40's, the body and engine number were the same (Alex Burr will no doubt step in shortly to set me straight!). But the 1954 body numbers started at 269060, and your engine number is up in the six millions! So I don't see any correlation. Earlier engines would have a much lesser number. Not sure what's up, unless you have one of the AMC-built post-1954 engines....
  • OK. The numbers on the Hornet Special match so it must be right. It is my understanding that the Hornet Special was built in Hudson's last days and was kinda thrown together using whatever parts were left, basically a halfbreed Hornet/Wasp. Could it possibly have one of the '55 AMC 308's?

The numbers on the Super Wasp don't match (engine 6309879, body 5279766.) I would still like to know what it came out of. Thanks, Mike.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    I think you're looking at the wrong numbers. As Jon says they are to high. 1954 numbers started at 269060 (Hornet Special should be prefaced with the alph-numeric 6D) and since they only shipped 51,314 units total, no way could a serial number be 5279766. Engine numbers matched serial numbers from mid-1938 up.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Hornet 54 Spl. had it's own series of numbers different from the Hornet. It's all in the 48-54 parts book which is in the shop, so I can't quote it. The number plate on the door pillar will have the series number (I.E. 7D for a Hornet)to the left and above the serial number. That same exact number less the series number will be stamped on the right front of the block on a vertical area in front of the exhaust manifold. I have a HS 308 in the shop along with a Hornet 308. Only diiference I can find except the number sequence is the HS has a single action fuel pump. The Hornet Spl was manufactured most of the year as far as I can tell. Some had the BW tranny, which would make them early manufacture and some had the Hydra-Matic after GM got running again. I had a Two door HS at one time (with Hydro). 54 was the only year you could buy a two door sedan in a Hornet Model.They used mostly Super Wasp trim, but had the long wheel Base. Hence,Front fender trim is unique to 54 HS only.If you have 7/16th head studs you probably have the correct engine. The 55's went to 1/2".

Ain't this a fun hobby?

Dave W.
  • I think I have this figured out. The serial numbers are all stamped as a seven digit number. The letter "D" is stamped BELOW this number on the body tags. If I just insert the "D" in between the first and second digits the serial numbers will make sense. 5D279766 (1954 Super Wasp) and 6D306980 (1954 Hornet Special.) This would mean that the engine in the Super Wasp, 6D309879, is also out of a 1954 Hornet Special.
This discussion has been closed.