Adding an oil filter

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm adding a newer cartridge-style oil filter to my '49 262 motor which never got the option back when. I'm wondering what the direction of flow, and connection requirements are. As best as I can decipher from photos I have from the Nats, it looks like the upper port (nearest the distributor), which is capped with an 1/8" NPT plug should connect to the filter inlet, and the filter outlet should connect to the lower port (below the distributor), which is also capped with an 1/8" NPT plug. Does this sound right?

As always, I appreciate the help

Doug

Comments

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    HI I WOULD NOT INSTALL THE FILTER THEY DON'T WORK THAT WELL AND IF ONE OF THE LINES SHOULD LEAK YOU CAN RUN YOUR ENGINE OUT OF OIL WE ARE TAKING THEM OFF OF ALL OUR CARS
  • Hi Doug,
    Your routing is correct. The current cartridge is a Fram C3P. You can use stainless brake lines, or braided lines from a tractor supply house. Just watch for leaks, as Paul mentions. Should your lines fail, your oil pressure light wont come on fast enough to prevent engine damage.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    If you've got an oil gauge as well as the light, wouldn't one notice that fluctuating in time to stop an engine failure? It should be a moot point, because I do plan on doing a really good job of installing 'hard' lines (SS brake line), rather than hoses.

Paul, you said they don't work very well. Isn't having a filter better than none?
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Paul's point was that the hookup provides only 'partial flow' filtering. That is, only a part of the circulating oil goes through the filter, so the filter effectiveness isn't all that great. Maybe better than none, but probably not better than forgetting about the filter and changing oil more frequently.
  • Hi Doug,
    You would notice the loss of oil with a gage, should a line fail. This system bleeds oil from the check valve rather than the main oil galley, giving it the "partial flow" designation. The light is hooked to the main galley and will come on should pressure fail, but the rapid loss of oil might lead to scoring before the light comes on.
    However, I agree with you that some filtering is better than none.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    By using the hard lines you are creating more of a problem that you are solving. If you mount the oil filter in a manner similar to the original the filter will tend to shake disproportionately to the motor. The hard lines will suffer metal fatigue from being mounted to the motor and the filter. This will cause a crack. The best plumbing method is the braded lines as original or the modern steal covered replacements.
    Of course you could use copper lines and place a flex loop within.
This discussion has been closed.