!950 Pacemaker Tail Lites

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello

I have just purchased a 1950 Hudson Pacemaker tudor and am in dire need of the stock taillite assemblys. They were stolen :confused: and put on motorcycles :mad:

Anybody know where I can find either originals or re-pops. This is not a resto-project, but will be a nice custom someday, I hope. Thanks

Billy

Comments

• Hi Bill, I think I could supply you with the tail light assemblies you're looking for. I possibly could help you with the grille parts you mentioned also for a '50 Hudson. Please e-mail me at: shortykj@hickorytech.net
  • Howdy

Thanks. Sent you an email

Billy
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    Bill, I am Just curious. If they were stolen, how did you find out they were put on motorcycles? Did they catch the guys and they confessed, or did they leave a note as to where they would use them??? Could it be that you need the taillights so you can use them on custom Motorcycles?. I'm not accusing you of anything, but we Hudson owners would feel bad if we started to sell parts to be used on something other than the preservation of Hudsons. I could be wrong, and am sorry if I offended you, but a guy, from TN, was buying them off of "E" bay. Specifically the Pacemaker. To use on motorcycles. Is that you maybe?. I'd like to see a pic of the 50 rear end they were stolen from first. Then I'd be glad to sell you a pair. I hope you understand and don't take this personal. I run a Forensic Lab and have a natural curiousity. Thanks and hope it works out with the other guy in MN with the parts first.
  • bobbydamit
    Hey guys, check out the web site of Billy Clanton/tattoo's and click on the Custom Cycles spot. Really curious now. http://www.southerncomfortexpos.com/

This the biggest Memphis Custom Bike show around. I wonder if there are any Pacemaker tail lites heading to that show??
  • Howdy

Well, y'all do get a bit suspicious, now, don't ya??? (:>)

I know that they were swiped and put on MC's because the previous owner told me that was what happened to them while he was in the hospital. I bought the car from him because he is in bad health and couldn't finish the project. When I bought the car, I didn't know what the original lites even looked like. When I saw an original set, I liked them well enough to seek the originals. I am not restoring this car, as it has already been stripped and "street-rodded". I do plan to try and retain as much of the original Hudson lines as possible, but am gonna do some customizing. The original grill is intact, and will stay there, as will the basic design.

Now, to answer some questions from above posts.

I haven't bought any MC parts in years. I have no intention of putting the tail lites on a bike, but on my 1950 Pacemaker.

I am a collector of many antiques and full well understand where someone into total restoration might question my actions.

As to my website, yes, I do promote conventions and am planning a custom Bike, Car, and Tattoo Expo in June of this year, and I hope I do see some Hudson parts, but I doubt it! The website is a company website, and we are rebuilding it now with a complete re-finishing and it will have a link to the Hudson project, along with all our other endeavors, including our New Orleans convention, our 2 tattoo shops, and our Bar & Grill. Now! Thats about as much explaining that I have done to anybody about anything in many years! Hope this quells any suspictions as to my intent and use.

Billy
  • Frankly, I think that parts (and cars) should be utilized however the owner sees fit.

I saw a '48-'49 Hudson tail light as well as the '50-'51 Commodore/Hornet tail light on a couple of scoots at last year's Street Vibrations in Reno. Both looked great and the bikes both showed off the Hudson lines really well. One was a tribute to Hudson. There are Pacemaker lamps frequently on EBay. Good luck with your project!!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Someday soon - some one - some where - will take and cut up some old rare soft-tail Harley and put the parts on a car! Then all the MC guys will have meltdown!

I'd rather see chopper guys be a bit more creative and look to use vintage MC parts than vintage car parts. If you want to build a car, build a car...

That being said - I do think that the buyer has the ultimate say on what happens to the car no matter what anyone else wants to do - after all it's your money and your vision.

My .02
  • Demand for any Hudson part is good for our hobby. As the marque becomes more well known then our cars become more valuable. If someone wants to to spend their money on an item, let them. This is still America right? If they are misrepresenting then that is something else. It's a small world and people will find out who the frauds are. Billy's tatoo / MC business may just be coincidental. Niels
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Of course, if someone would re-manufacture this part, that would be the end to everyone's problem! The scarcity of good chome castings is what is making us all fight over this stuff! Maybe if this light becomes 'hot' with the motorcyclists, the demand will force someone to go into production, and we'll all be happy! They're re-making quite a few Hudson items now...why not taillights?
  • bobbydamit
    Jon B wrote:
    Of course, if someone would re-manufacture this part, that would be the end to everyone's problem! The scarcity of good chome castings is what is making us all fight over this stuff! Maybe if this light becomes 'hot' with the motorcyclists, the demand will force someone will go into production, and we'll all be happy! They're re-making quite a few Hudson items now...why not taillights?

Now yer talking Jon. Let the Poor Custom Bike builders, and Street Rodders, use the reproductions and save the originals for the Restorers. I guess I forgot," the more you stir a stink, the worse it smells "! AND, I guess I will retract the whole thing, but, I still like the part about, [now told from a guy in the hospital, that he knows the tail lites stolen from him, were used on Motorcycles. LOL.

I guess most things stolen from good folks are because of those {dern hells angels type bikers}. Made my day.

Ex-Old Biker and Hud Racer, Bobbydamit
  • It was just reported in Newsweek, that the tail lights were stolen by Col. Mustard, while the Hudson was parked near the Library. He smuggled them out in a Koran, which he flushed down the toilet. If you don't have a "clue" about what I'm talking about, you spend waaaay too much time on the computer!
  • Hello

Well, "Bobby", if you would send me your phone #, I can put you in touch with the guy that I bought the Hudson from, and let him explain it all. He IS a former Hells Angel that has been in a wheel chair for 30+ years, and, until his kidneys failed about a year ago, he still rode a Harley Trike. He has built a lot of custom bikes and cars. He had a '55 Ford Crown Vic, and He has had the '50 Hudson for about 10 years, and also has a '50 Commodore coupe that he put a caddy Eldorado drivetrain in. He also has a 1953 Hornet fordor with the 302 six w. dual carbs that he was planning to restore. He has also been a member of the HET Club for quite a while. He gave me a club magazine when I bought the car, and I, too, joined. You seem to be trying to make something that is not there. Why???

Billy
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Billy,

Wow! Did we take off on this one? A fellow enthusiast posts a search for parts and we slam him. What difference does it make what the parts are used for? Many of us have a stash that will never see the light of day in our lifetime, just sitting in a box or on a shelf. If someone has a need for them, why not share? Its not like he wants them for free. Com'on guys, lighten up a little!!
  • Howdy

Thanks, pards, for the kind words, help and support. I have absolutely nothing to hide. I listed my town, and even my new website that isn't finished yet.

This car that I bought has already been destroyed as a restorable project. The firewall has been cut, the original motor, trans, rear end & front end is history. The interior has been gutted, even all the dash parts. I have found most of the dash parts and am gonna put custom speedo, etc., in. I am gonna put a link on my website to the Hudson project probably next week, so, everybody can see it. When finished, I hope to have a nice, mild custom that still looks about 90% stock. If funds still exist, I would like to get the '53 Hornet that he has and restore it.

I had a 1951 Chevy tudor that had only 27,000 actual miles on it. It was in such good original shape, that I sold it to a collector instead of disrupting its character, and found the Hudson. If I had not rescued it, it would have been scrapped. Thats probably what will happen to his "50 Commodore Coupe, because its a rust bucket with no glass at all, and gutted out with a Caddie FWD setup in it, nowhere near completion. If anybody is interested, I will see what he wants for it. (It's missing the taillites, too!!)

Billy
This discussion has been closed.