1940's Hudson All-Purpose Delivery Vans

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Folks,

does anybody have any info on the Hudson All-Purpose Delivery Vans that were produced in the 40's I have a brochure that shows a 41 delivery van that had standup and sit down drive. Bascially a multi-stop vehicle for delivery of goods. Seems similar to the Divco's of the same era.

It had the Hudson vacumotive drive and was on a 116 inch wheelbase.

Looked pretty nice though I have never seen one anywhere. I wonder did the body get built by Hudson or was it done by a commercial outfit that specialized in these type of vans and they used a standard Hudson chassis and drivetrain.

Pretty interesting. I like the ad "This new Hudson Delivers the Goods"

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I posted photos of the Hudson van and a Willys van of the same era, for comparison, over at the Hudson photo album site. Which makes me wonder if the Hudson van was just a badge-engineered Willys (with slightly different grille)?

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/hudsontrucks.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1966

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/hudsontrucks.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1967
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    There is some speculation that the Hudson vans were a concept only - I've been hanging around Hudsons for over 30 years and have never heard of one, nor have I ever heard of anybody that had seen one.

However, that said, there is shown on a Hudson weight sheet from 1940 a panel delivery on the Model 40C 113" wb and also on the 125" wb Model 48C. In the 1941 weight sheet there is shown a Divco Panel Delivery on the Model 10C 116" wb. So that sort of tosses the skunk thru the door.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • SDi HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR HUDSONS 35 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE. I WAS TOLD BY GARY KLAN OF RIVERSIDE CAL THAT HE KNEW OF ONE, HE NEVER TOLD ME WHERE AND HE TENDS TO STRETCH THE TRUTH, SO WHO KNOWS, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • Yes, this all sounds very interesting. I am a member over at the Divco club so I thought this was a nice meeting point for my two favourite vehicles. Looking at the Willys Jon posted I am suspecting that the body was made by Willy's or someone like Divco. I post a question to the librarian over at the Divco club to see if they list any factory specs for running a Hudson chassis and drivetrain. Sure would be nice to have one. They are kind of ugly but I find it growing on me.

Though the fact its on the Factory roof on the styling wheel in the picture Jon posted I am thinking maybe it was a factory concept only, though the commercial vehicle brochure I have lists it as a model. You would think if they went to the trouble of adding it to the brochure they were producing it.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    To go one step further - regards to putting things in a brouchure that they might, or might not, have produced, there are parts listed in parts books for 1930 - and 1931 - Dover. But, there all evidence says these models were built only in 1929. My research found 1930 (serial 12205 to 15035) and 1931 (serial 14036 up) Essex Commercial cars that may have been produced as pickups, panel deliveries, canopy top express and screenside express. Again, after 30+ years in HET I've never seen, or heard of anyone having one these.
This discussion has been closed.