Found in barn: '37 Hudson Custom Eight

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hey guys,

This past weekend I found what appears to be a '37 Hudson Custom Eight in a cow barn in Colorado. The roof is caved in a bit, windows have been shot out, steering wheel is missing, but it's pretty well complete other than that. Engine and transmission are still in it and the paint has given way to an all over rust color however the metal all seems pretty solid with no visible rust holes.

I'm curious how rare, if at all, these sedans are. I can make a deal with the rancher to get the car but he doesn't have a title for it. I'll post up some photos later today. More than anything I'm looking for confirmation on what the car truly is and what value I might expect from selling it.

Thanks...

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Sounds like what the 'Old Car Price Guide' calls a #5, Restorable. They list it at $1500, but who knows? It depends on whether a Hudson guy/gal is looking for one to restore. Restored to a #1, it lists at about 16K, but it would cost more than that to get it there unless ya got a big can of elbow grease. I'd say the eight is a plus. Advertise it here, on eBay, in the WTN or check with Bill Albrite.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Speedking, to be honest, a 4-door sedan in #5 condition is generally not worth the money to rebuild it (unless it was one of the top-of-the-line extended wheelbase sedans), but it definitely has value as a 'parts car' from which a person could obtain badly-needed components.

First, let's find out what you have there. Open the driver's side door and look at the number plate on the hinge pillar (windshield pillar). Write down the serial number. It will start with a two-digit number that runs from '70' to '78'. This defines the model number. Post it here, and we can tell you what the car is.

Second, note what sort of components the car has. Is there an 8-cylinder engine (that would be good). Does it have "Electric Hand" (vacuum powered shifter; you'll find a little electric shifting mechanism on the steering column). Does it have a vacuum clutch (you'll find a vacuum cylinder mounted to the side of the engine in that case)? A cigar lighter whose plastic knob matches the other knobs on the dash? A heater that says 'Hudson' on the front? A radio (the radio controls are in the middle of the dash, and the radio box is mounted behind the dash on the bracket that holds the steering column). If the back of the front seat has a little swing-down wooden shelf, you have one of the long-wheelbase models; that too is a desirable component. Do the fenders have bullet-shaped chromed finder lights on the tops? Are there chromed outside horns mounted to the fenders as well? All these items would add to the car's worth as a parts car.
  • Jon B & Uncle Josh,

Thanks for the info on the 4-door sedan in #5 condition. I'll post photos when I get them up on my website.

I'll talk to the rancher and see if he can get me the serial number then I'll post it. The car is 270 miles away from where I live.

As for all the components, we'll have to see if we can identify what it has based on the photos I took as I won't be back in that part of the state for another few weeks. I do remember that there weren't any external horns on the body.

I appreciate all your comments & help. I hope it turns out to be something worthy.

More to come.....
  • There are 11 of the long wheel base custom 8s listed in the roster. I own one in excellent condition. I would not tke less than 32 K for mine, but more than that has been spent on car. I would say it is worth saving NOT JON, electric hand was not available in 41, so dont look for it. Jump seats were a rare option on this modelsteering wheels were the same thru 47 iln Comm series, although horn button was different. email me if you need more info BILL ALBRIGHT albrighthudsons@msn.com
  • Speedking, what is the address of your website? If it has to do with Hudsons, or will have pictures of Hudsons on it, I'd like to visit.

silverone.
  • silverone wrote:
    Speedking, what is the address of your website? If it has to do with Hudsons, or will have pictures of Hudsons on it, I'd like to visit.

silverone.

Silverone,

I don't have any Hudson content on my website, I was just going to use it to host the photos but it looks like I'll be hosting them elsewhere.

--Speed
  • So...apparently it's a Terraplane Hudson which I'm assuming is different than a Hudson Custom Eight

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3106

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3107

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3108

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3109

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3110

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3111

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3112

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3113

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3114

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3115

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3116

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3117

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3118

terraplanehudsonfoundinbarn.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3119
  • So...anybody have an idea of what year it is?
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    It's got to be either a '36 or '37. Someone else should know exactly the year.
  • Speedking,

I am almost done with mine and the back looks just like the one you posted. Mine is a 37' 2 door. I sent you a couple of pics on your e-mail listed.
  • lllIt lis a 37 Terraplalne, in a world of hurt, looks like a 100.00 parts car to me
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    There are probably quite a few items that could be salvaged, so with any luck one of our Hudson people in Colorado could buy it from the rancher and part it out. What part of Colorado is it located in -- north, east, south, west, central?
  • Jon B wrote:
    There are probably quite a few items that could be salvaged, so with any luck one of our Hudson people in Colorado could buy it from the rancher and part it out. What part of Colorado is it located in -- north, east, south, west, central?

It's in the mountains of Western Colorado.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Grille says it's a 1937 - as does the badge (Terraplane-Hudson). Serial number should start with a 71-xxx or 72-xxx.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
This discussion has been closed.