49 Comm Grill & Rocker Extension Paint Question....

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Was having a friendly debate over the weekend with a fellow Hudsonite about two paint issues and need to get a definative answer.

First is with respect to the four horizontal bars that make up the grill and hold the stainless strips. Mine were painted over using hte body color. I see pictures of other 49's and they are black. That being said, some have the the top three smaller ones black, and the larger bottom one painted the body color. WHICH IS CORRECT? If they are black, is is gloss or semi?

Second is regarding the gray rockers. Specifically, the rear qtr extension that goes between the skirt and the bumper. I see some of them painted completely gray, and others have them gray only within the verticle curved body line that comes down from the rear fender, and the rest the body color. Once again, which is correct? Some of original literature I have shows it being the later, but they are artist renditions and not actual photos.

Thanks!

Comments

• ifI I remember correctly,the grill panels are black with the panel behind the bumper the body color.Rocker panels are painted silver.I have my dads 50 p sd that he bought new.on my 50 comm 6 sd,the rocker panel are silver but on the rear section behind the skirt, behind the curve,this is the body color !! after 50 ,all rockers are all silver,not chrome silver,just silver.
  • On 48-50, the panels behind the stainless bars are black,except on the large panel behind the bumper which is the body color.the original color on the rockers is silver.My dad bought a new 50 pacemaker sedan, they were all silver.BUT on my 50 comm sed they are silver except behind the curve on the rear section, where they are the body color.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    A very close silver for the rockers is Ford Argent. Your local paint guy can make it up or you can get it from Eastwood.
  • Went to my paint jobber today to get some body and rocker paint. Uncle Josh had recommeneded a Ford "Argent". They had a Chrysler, but could not find a Ford. Uncle Josh, (or anyone), can you tell me a code or year that can help me narrow it down?

Going back tomorrow for some stuff I forgot. Please let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FYI- Just checked my 1948 Commodore... the grille is black not body color. Niels
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Went to my paint jobber today to get some body and rocker paint. Uncle Josh had recommeneded a Ford "Argent". They had a Chrysler, but could not find a Ford. Uncle Josh, (or anyone), can you tell me a code or year that can help me narrow it down?

Going back tomorrow for some stuff I forgot. Please let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NAPA has argent paint in large spray cans that works well. ;)
This discussion has been closed.