Radio to fit dash

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have been looking for a 12 volt modern radio to fit in the place of the 54 original. I don't want to chop the dashboard. I wrote emails to two companys that advertise in Hemmings. I got no reply to my question. Anyone have any experience with this matter? An alternative, would be to leave the original in place and hide a modern one behind a tissue dispenser, but I'm running out of under dash room. Air conditioner louvers and guages take up a lot of space and the logical space for a radio is where the original is..Surely someone has "been there and done that".

Dave W.Fl

Comments

• Dave, I don't recall the name but there is a shop in california that will take your radio and upgrade it modern standards. I think they also can put in a tape player or cd.

BJ--TN
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Check out the May-June 2004 Issue of the WTN. On page 9 is a Kenwood AM/FM cassette radio that has "Hudson" embossed(?) on it. Available from River Radio in Oakley, CA. You might also want to talk to the HET Radio Advisor, Steve Engel.
  • SuperDave
    Thanks for the help. I had that issue right here on my desk..along with a pile of other stuff..lots of other stuff. I recall reading that article now..kinda late huh? I will give them a call tomorow. Kenwood's web site was no help and the nearest independant dealer is 45 miles from here. A couple chain stores but they wouldn't be much help .

Thanks again for the response,

Dave
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Dave, it seems like I remember reading, either here or in the WTN, where River Radio had bought all the remaining stock from Kenwood when they discontinued the "Hudson" radio, so your chains and independents probably wouldn't be of any help.
  • Lif You Can Live With Just Am, Wteve Engle Our Radio Rep Will Change Your Orig Radio To 12 Volts, They Work Great And Come With One Year Quarantee, Bill Albright, Fontana, Ca
  • SuperDave
    I really want to replace the original with something with up to date features. An Update on the "Hudson" radio seen in the WTN. I called River Radio and talked to a nice guy that knows all about the Hudson radio. It is a Kenwood BUT NOT in the Kenwood catalog as reported. This is a AM FM cassette player. The knobs control a remote ten CD deck. Slick..This is a custom application done for River Radio by Custom Auto Sound. Since I am in Florida, the guy at River Radio gave me the 800 number for Custom Auto Sound as well as the extension for the fellow down there that did the Hudson radios for him. I called the number, dialed the extension and got a message that "Terry" was not at his desk. but would return my call.. Yea right! No call.

I then found them on the internet. Used the link to send an email. It bounced. It took a few trys to determine that the link on their site was missing a dash.. It worked..I guess.. It didn't bounce. I also sent them an email telling them that the link on the web site was defective. To date, I have not heard a word from them. email or otherwise.These are the same guys that were on the TV show "My Classic Car" this past Sunday. They had a secret stereo that is completely hidden and controled by an RF remote control. It Looks like a TV remote! really Kool..I could reinstall the original radio for looks and have everything I want out of sight. I sure would like to hear something.. Just a simple "go away" would be OK now. At least I would know they are still in business.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Dave,

I found Custom Auto Sound to be all but non-existent also. I did the same things as you about a year ago, and got nowhere. So I made my own 'hidden stereo'. Well, it's almost hidden.

I used a nice AM/FM/CD unit from a newer Blazer, actually a friend gave it to me before he traded in his truck. This deck has the removable faceplate (for security reasons, I guess). I very carefully installed a long 8-conductor wire harness between the connector on the faceplate, and the connector on the deck. I then mounted the faceplate to an old clip-on visor mirror frame, and attached it to the sun visor on the drivers side, routing the wire harness behind the windshield moulding. I can flip this panel down, and the visor up, and it almost disappears.

I then shock-mounted the deck behind the driver's side glove-box door (luckily I have a '49 that is layed out this way), by modifying the long sheet metal brackets that mount the circuit breakers, etc. I even added a small light with a micro-switch, so that I can see to change CD's at night.

What originally led me to Custom Auto Sound was an ad for the dual 6 x 9 speaker I installed in the dash. (It's basically two 4" speakers side by side in a 6 x 9 frame) I eventually bought one of these units from Impala Bob's, and have seen ads for this speaker at other places since then.

I know this method wouldn't really work on your '54 with out the extra glovebox, but maybe you can do something similar to this. It works great, sounds great, and nobody knows it's there unless I flip up the faceplate.

Good Luck,

Doug
  • Last Fall I Went Threw The Same Thing, Trying To Get A 12 Volt Radio To Fit. I Found One That Said Hudson On It, But The Face Was Black And Did Not Match All The Crome On The Dash. I Have A 53. So I Put One In The Glove Box, It Wopks Great. You Can Also Have A Remote For The Radio, With Sensor Outside Of Glove Box. I Also Had An Off Swith When Not Driving, Or It Would Drain Battery.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The other thought is, leave the original face plate in place but remove the large heavy box that contains the radio innards. You will then have almost enough space up under the dash to install a home entertainment centre. Work it with a remote control.
  • can anyone advise me on the possibility of putting power disc brakes and power steering on a 51 hudson?

or at least changing over to a non-power disc set-up, the original brakes leave a lot to be desired when trying to stop at 70mph.

If anyone has advise or information, please e-mail me:

bjharris@mynewroads.com
  • Check out the archived BBS threads... there are posts about the two differnent Hudson power disc brake setups being used. Wes Kitchens has a 48 sedan with power disc brakes. He is running a very tough Chevy for power. Check it out....

http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1924&highlight=disc+brakes

http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1840&highlight=disc+brakes

There are others....

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.