Gas Tank

TOM-WA-
TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Is there a Gas Tank from another Car or Truck that will fit in a

1954 Hornet?? It would need the same neck fitting etc??

THANKS

Comments

• sorry TOM 54 GAS TANK IS ONE OF A KIND. SENDING UNITS ENTERCHANGE, AS WELL AS PICKUP TUB.E NECK AND CAP AREA ARE 54 ONLY BILL ALBRIGHT
  • As Bill has stated the 54 is unique to the stepdowns in the filler neck shape and diameter. When faced with a rusted our tank on a 54, I opted for the following fix.

I used a tank from a 52 Hornet ... could have been any Stepdown gas tank ... cleaned and coated the tank with sealant. Then I cut off the filler tube at the point where the tank filler would normally enter the floor board of the Hudson ... making sure that the cut was above the top of the tank. Then I cut the filler tube off the 54 tank ... after cutting this filler tube I installed the 52 tank using the straps to determine the filler tube length. I made a second cut on the 54 filler tube leaving a minimal gap of 1 inch. Using a gas proof rubber tubing designed for installing gasoline tanks I connected the filler tube to the tank. Appropriate sized automotive radiator clamps were used to seal the rubber tubing. This replacement was completed 25 years ago, the car still is running that tank and as far as I know never had another fuel tank problem.

Good Luck
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Speaking of gas tanks..In the event someone has opted for a replacement fuel tank, I thought I would mention my experiences. I have had the dispeasure of working on two replacement tanks. I have no clue who made either of them. They both appeared to be somewhat professionally made. One was in a 49 sedan and another in a 54 (three leaky seams). Both where a "BEAR" to fill. Upon removing the tank from the car and removing the sending unit I discovered that the baffle that runs from front to rear had no holes at the top. The purpose of the baffle is to keep the fuel from sloshing from side to side during cornering. When filling the tank they would kick back constantly after about 1/4 tank was put in. At first I thought it was a venting tube problem. On the 49, I opened the tank up to remove surface rust and while in there, trimmed a two inch piece out of the baffle at the top. That fixed it. Now air can excape while fuel is going in at the bottom. On the 54, I reached in through the hole for the sending unit with a very long drill and drilled three 1/2 holes in the baffle. I don't think I need to mention the safety thing here! The 54 tank was full of water at the time, so no fumes. The 49 had also been purged with no fumes present. Now I can pump that expensive stuff in at full pump pressure!

Ain't this fun? Dave W.Fl
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Dave,

Thanks for the enlightenment. You've explained why it takes me so long to fill the gas tank! I've got a replacement tank in the car now, and am going to restore the original tank. I'll make sure to trim that spot while I'm in there.

Take Care,

Doug
This discussion has been closed.