shifter rattles

48super6
48super6 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Any suggestions on what would cause the shifterhandle to rattle (pretty loudly) in 3rd as your going down the road? It also has a tendency to pop out of second (don't know if thats related to the rattle). You also have to shift slowly and carefully from first to second, because it will some times get "hung up" (no speed shifting!) Its a fairly low milage clean, tight car so I don't suspect anything to be too sloppy from being worn out.

I'm going to try to adjust and lubricate the linkage- any tips or any thing else I should look for?

Its a 48 sedan 3 speed (no overdrive) with the single rod/cable linkage.

Thanks!

Comments

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Just yesterday I adjusted this same style shift linkage on my '49 Super per Walt Mordenti's Tech Tips (WTN) as follows; First, have someone hold the shift lever up in the neutral position (I simply taped it tightly to the steering wheel spoke). From under the hood, at the base of the steering column there is a lock bolt (1/2") that must be loosened. Slide the bracket that this bolt locks 'up' (toward the firewall) as far as you can. Then tighten the bolt down. Now go underneath the car and loosen the locknut (9/16") on the horizontal shift linkage. Remove the pin and clevis, and making sure that it's 'centered' in the neutral position, verify that the pin drops easily into the hole again. If not, screw the clevis end in or out, until it does. Button everything up, and you're done.

I had a hard time getting it into R and 1st before the adjustment, and although I only slid the bracket about 1/16", and got only two turns on the clevis, it made all the difference in the world. Now it shifts perfectly. Walt knows his Hudsons.

Good Luck,

Doug
  • A Good Tire Balalnce Will Prevent Vibration In Shift Handle If Rattle Persists After Adjustment
  • first check grease level then clutch pedal free-play (1/2 in)? I try not to assume anything.erf
This discussion has been closed.