Gas Tank Sending Unit

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm changing my '48 over to 12volt,negative ground. My question is...can the original gas gauge and sending unit be used? I want to find out all I can about this before I take a chance of blowing-up all my work! Thanks!

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Wess, the gauges through '50 were made to withstand some variation in input voltage, but throwing 12v at them is likely to cause high readings and premature failure of the sending unit or gauge. There's a voltage reducer available from NAPA that is listed as a replacement for the earlier 12v Fords. It's Echlin IR2. This works nicely for the '51 and later gauges when run on 12v, and I think it'll do the same for the earlier ones like yours. I'll e-mail you my data sheet on 12v conversions ... it's got a lot of other info I think you'll find useful.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Wess, I didn't notice you're unregistered, so I can't get at your e-mail address ... e-mail it to me at [email="pwald@mindspring.com."]pwald@mindspring.com.[/email]
  • Wess, this is John in Germantown: How U R? This is from Dave Sollon's site below:
    Fuel and Temp Gauqe - On 51 to 54 Hudsons, these gauges are
    powered by a regulator providing a constant 8 volts. This regulator has
    an upward Input voltage tolerance of 8 volts. Based on my experience,
    and the experience of others, the gauges still appear to work correctly
    (although faster) at 12 volts, so no modifications Should be necessary. I
    suspect that these gauges do not draw much current. if you prefer a
    safety margin, you could use a dropping resistor similar to the one
    mentioned earlier for the coil, but for a much lower wattage. Unregulated
    pre-51 systems may also require such a device. If used, I would suggest
    that it be mounted under the hood to avoid a possible heat problem.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dsollon/public.htm/

then look for this:

12 Volt conversion by Dick Cashion:

When Converting the 6 volt system, All parts necessary to keep it in A I condition are available
    from your corner auto supply Store, at the larger auto flea markets, or from other club members.
    A good enhancement to the 6 volt system is a Sears Commercial Die Hard group 4 battery,
    available only through the catalog. This larger battery, which requires a modified hold-down, works
    well in step-downs. There may be clearance problems in earlier models, so measure before you
    buy. This battery, number 9694, measures 7 x 12 and is 8 high plus terminals). Cont'd.....
  • I have changed dozens of hudsons 46 to 54 to 12 volt without any reducer and or problems.. the gauges all work fin. Hydro starters work fine also but it is a little hard on stick shift starters, bill albright, fontana, ca
  • Wess I have used on the Hudsons changed to 12 volt a regulated voltage reducer. J.C.Whitney has them. They hook up on the gauge. one for each. B.K. TN.
This discussion has been closed.