Flat Glass Removal

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Finally received checkerboard material, window rubber gaskets, weatherstrips and felt necessary for compete interior restoration on my '53 4 door Hornet. Going to professional glass shop for R&R of rear, however I want to remove and replace all 8 pieces of flat glass, (glass shop will cut new pieces using my old as pattern) any recommendations of making procedure easier will be appreciated (especially front and vent windows).

Thank you

Comments

• Is it that you understand the complexity of flat glass removal and want to know a shortcut? Or are you not aware of the proper procedure?
  • I remember and understand the difficulties I experienced on my last '53 Hornet sedan and would appreciate learning proper procedure for removal and if any shortcut?

Thanks
  • Well, I do not own a Step-Down but I think the procedures are generally the same for most cars from thirties through 50's or 60's: 1) remove door upholstery panel (which entails removal of the handrest and all knobs), 2). roll window down to where the two regulator arms are in a position that they can be disengaged from the horizontal track on the glass support channel. (There is usually an enlarged area on the track where the flange on the arm can be 'derailed'. OR, you may simply be able to unscrew the glass support channel itself from the track without disengaging from the arms. 3). Then the glass can be slid up and removed out the window opening, or it can possibly be removed through the opening in the door itself. (My car is a convertible so the window slides up and out the top but in closed cars it may be possible to tilt and remove the glass out through the opening in the lower part of the door).
This discussion has been closed.