Is Ennis Automotive still in business?

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've been trying unsuccessfully to call Ennis Automotive in Texas all week. All I get is the robot operator, and a dead end phone tree. Every selection I've made has put me on infinite hold. Either they're out of business, and forgot to unplug the phone, or they're so busy they can't answer the phone.

This is the company that several HET'ers have had their starters, top motors, etc. rebuilt and/or converted to 12 volt operation., and have been highly recommended.

Maybe a better question is, does anyone know of another reliable starter conversion shop?

My local auto. electric shop did a Hudson starter last year, and said they'd never do another one!

Thanks,

Doug

Comments

• I will be interested in the answer. I received a couple notes saying you did not have to do anything to the starter. You could just hook it up with twelve volts and negative ground and it would do fine. Sounded like a setup that should run backwards to me.
  • alexa, I have been told that running the starter on 12 volts will break the nose off. I have run my 54 with 12 volts for 2 years and had no problem. This may be due to the fact that I have the borg-warner trans in my coupe. I know that the starters for the different transmissions have different nose cones on them, Maybe that makes a difference. Starter rotation is no problem.

BJ--TN

Bob Hickson
  • Going to 12 volts should pose no problem. I ran a '54 coupe with 12 volts for a couple of years with the Hyro in it. 12 volts, from what I understand, eventually will affect the windings. But I hadn't had the experience and don't know first hand.
  • 12V is ok, just don't wind on it for a long time. I have done this for several years with no problem. To answer your first question , check with Ace Alternater in Witchita, Ka. They are doing a Essex for me now.
  • Just ran an INTERNET search and they come up immediately....

http://www.ennauto.com/

b]2400 North Preston Street[/b]
    Ennis, Texas 75120-0400
    800-624-8813 or 972-878-3896
    Fax 972-878-9020

cheers
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I just broke the nose off a starter YESTERDAY!.. I think the drive gear was defective. It broke two teeth,then took the nose off. I had a used Jet starter that bolted on and seems to work just fine. I am looking for a new Nose and I will get the fields changed..just to be sure..

Dave W. Fl
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    In my experience the 6V windings will handle 12V almost indefinitely.

The potential problem is increased wear in the engagement mechanism. The pinion and flywheel gears cop a hiding because the pinion slams into engagement either twice as hard or 4 times as hard depending on which auto electrician you talk to.

Whether or when the increased stress causes problems depends on the condition of the components, how often you start the car, and the mood of the gods.

Its probably better to rewind the starter, you get to choose when to do that.

The pinion and/or ring gear will choose for you the time and place of their repair.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    As I recall Chrysler used 6 volt starters with 12 volt systems for years around the 40's, early 50's. That's why they had that charateristic high pitched whine when you hit the starter button. Seemed to work ok.

Hudsontech
  • hudsonguy
    In my short Hudson experience, my original 6 volt starter worked okay at 12 volts. For awhile. It engaged so 'hard' that eventually, it was chipping flywheel teeth and actually bent it's own armature doing it.

I've got an electric fuel pump, electronic ignition, etc. and the car starts at the touch of the button, so it's not like I was abusing it and cranking it a lot. For me, it's well worth the money to convert to 12 volts.

To get back to my original question. I already have the contact info for Ennis Automotive, and have simply been unable to reach them. They don't answer the phone. Has anyone had any dealings with them recently?

Thanks,

Doug
  • hudsonguy
    tombpa,

Thanks, I'll check out Ace Alternator.

Doug
This discussion has been closed.