What should the compression be on a 1948 262 6 cyl be?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi,

I have a 1948 Commodore 6 with about 129,000 miles on it. The engine has never been rebuilt. I recently had the compression checked and it looks like about 90 lbs in each cylinder. Is this about right for an original, non smoking engine? I believe the manual says 100 lbs minimum. Thx.

Comments

• TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    I would be very happy with 90lbs in all cylinders.....Very acceptable for a car with that many miles on it....
  • 90 lbs is very,very acceptable. If all cylinders are within 4-5lbs of each other, I wouldn't worry about it a bit. As long as she's not a smoker, drive and enjoy!!
  • You have a jewel there; I'd suggest that you use Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in the gas tank (as per directions) and the crankcase (1/2 quart maximum at every oil change), along with Shell's Rotella-T motor oil. And, keep the oil clean, by all means.

It may go another 129K,easily, and only get better as the MMO does it's work of freeing up the rings, etc.

This will be much cheaper as maintenance vs. an overhaul, BY FAR!
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    54 HSWH wrote:
    You have a jewel there; I'd suggest that you use Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in the gas tank (as per directions) and the crankcase (1/2 quart maximum at every oil change), along with Shell's Rotella-T motor oil. And, keep the oil clean, by all means.

What exactly does MMO do?
  • ..... I have successfully unstuck both lifters and rings using Marvel Mystery Oil.

forum.com/mhttp://www.pipercubarvel.htm

It combats corrosion and rust.........

http://search.netscape.com/ns/search?query=marvel+mystery+oil&x=10&y=8&fromPage=NSBoom
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    What Marvel Mystery Oil does is a ---- mystery. But whatever it does it works great. Stuff has been around for years and will do all sorts of great things for your engine. Can mix a bit with oil to keep things ungummed; can mix a can in your gas tank to keep the fuel system clean. You name it.

Hudsontech
This discussion has been closed.