Single lever tran up grade to OD

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just trashed the trans in my 46 PU, Teeth gone.

I am using a 56 TwinH Hornet eng and a three Speed(no OD) 51 single lvr trans. I have access to an OD single lver Trans.( I also have a non OD trans)

How difficult is to make this upgrade...

How can I check the condition prior to install. aside from chipped teeth,what should I look for.

PARTII

I think I'll be using an OD trans and changing the rear ratio from the current (dodge) 292 to a 323 or 355 or higher.

Will this releave some of the stress on the trans!?!.

I would like to end up with a final drive similar to what I have now . can anyone suggest a way to figure the rear ratio.

If OD turns @ 70% then .7 x 355 = 248 or .7 x 393 = 275... aproxamate final drive? Does this seem right?

Any suggestions as to another way to

Also I may have to replace the main shaft( Spline that the clutch goes on) as the input has a little twist in it. Any clue as to the difficulty, can the input shaft be change by itself? The manuel shows the use of a lot of special tools but they are tearing down the complete xmission.

Hudsonly

Dave

Thanks Dave

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    If you decide to change to OD, you'll have to shorten the drive shaft by the difference in the tranny lengths. Driveshafts of this length are just not available because they would have to come from a 128 in wb 41 or 42 car which are very scarce.

re your new tranny, drain the oil and fill it with kero. Rotate gears to flush it out. Check old oil for metal pieces, and all gears and especially low and reverse for binding in the countershaft bearing. Drain overnight and refill with 80-90 gear oil.
  • The OD tranny is 9 in longer,but cutting off the driveshaft is not a serious problem,but I always heard that the single lever (Hudson) od was not up to the torque of the Hornet because it lacked a center bearing for support . The double lever (borg-warner) was a stronger tranny because it had a center bearing.
  • additional question.
This discussion has been closed.