49 Decklid HINGE Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Spent a few hours with a buddy trying to get my decklid lines right prior to final prime. After adjusting the hinge at body and where it meets the lid itself, we used some persuasion to get it almost right and then noticed something. The lid hinges are exactly the identical. No LH or RH difference. So, I went to the parts book to see if this is right and found more confusion. There is a RH-LH listed for 50 and on, but not for 49. I have a CvBro, and someone once told me the hinges are different for this car than the hardtops, but I had or have no idea if this is right or if there is even a RH-LH for my car.

We stopped working on it after realizing the hinges were the same. Before I start bending them to get it right, can someone tell me if the hinges should be indentical????? This is sort of weird. I have never heard of a car not having a RH - LH. I would think it would creat a twist.

Arrrgh.

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hi Dennis,

I happen to have my trunk hinges for my 49 Commodore 4dr Sedan in my hand and they are identical - no diff from side to side and no markings

However, I wouldn't know if the same goes for a convertible.

Hope this helps
  • hdsn49
    hdsn49 Senior Contributor
    Dennis,

I checked my 480-490 series Hudson master parts catalogue. Both sides use the same hinge. But there is a difference between hinges for Broughams/Sedans and ones for Coupes/CvBro. It makes sense because the trunk lids are also different. There were also 2 types of hinges used for both body styles. They are listed as 1st type and 2nd type. No mention of serial numbers or dates when used. It also shows a reinforcement hinge bracket only for the Coupes/CVBro hinges. I hope this info helps.
  • the hinges are identical for each car. but coupe and convs with larger lid have stronger springs (Coil) Sjust leave mount bolts a little loose and strike with large rubber mallet until it lines up. a piece of masking tape along painted edges, helps protect paint, just did a 52 coupe BILL ALBRIGHT
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    BE carefull to leave enough gap at the top. If you close up the gap too much the lid will move around on the rubber and pop the paint at the top gap. Seen a lot of them (including one of my own) where this has happened.
This discussion has been closed.