the truck is painted !!!!

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
After a 3 day body and paint blitz I now own a satin black 46 pickup.

It looks pretty good, there are some spots that could use some more smoothing but overall its good. now it needs to be lower.

here are some pics, the second one is kind of fuzzy

Comments

• LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    Looks good!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    UC4me

I wish mine was that far along :(

What did you use for primer/paint?

I also wanted to go Satin Black and so far have found out that Dupont has a satin black ready to paint without putting flattening agent in the paint (as you would have to do with a PPG product).

Thanks
  • Rambo:

I took alot of the truck down to bare metal and used a 2 part self-etching primer as a base then a 2 part high build primer. The top coat is single stage arcylic enamel with a flattening agent. I used the NAPA crossfire line of paint products.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2013
    Grumpy:
    They are the original running boards. They are pitted and had some rot holes, I welded in some patches and sandblasted them . My main concern was getting them solid and preserviing what was there. I decided not to put any filler in them since they will be stepped on periodically. I may get the pads at some point but right now they are pretty low on the priority list.

The trip out to paint the truck was interesting...(and slow, the truck likes 45mph) the radiator let loose about half way there and I ended up being towed behind my brother's dodge (with the cummins diesel) he was going about 75 and I realized that it was probably the fastest that my hudson had ever gone.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    UC4me - thanks for the info.

I take it from your description of the trip to paint the truck that you had someone else shoot the paint?

I was wondering how it came out in terms of dust, orange peel etc...
  • I brought it to a friend of mine's shop, its basicly a big garage with a good air supply that we don't worry about making a mess in. He did the spraying of the topcoat but other work was shared.

There is some dust and other imperfections , no orange peel, in the paint but the flat finish is real forgiving.

There are some things that I'll fix/change once the paint fully cures but overall its decent.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I wouldn't lower it. I think you'll screw up the classic look.

I got the hood on mine yesterday and got the medallion on today and the upper grill bars cleaned up and a couple of ground straps made. Grill is next. She's running and driving.
  • here is a photoshopped comparison of the current ride height and proposed. I will probably not be cutting the springs but just compressing them and the rear lowering blocks and longer u-bolts are also easily changed back to stock if need be.

I think the lower stance accentuates the length of the truck and makes the cab look more proportional
This discussion has been closed.