38 T Plane Carb Linkage Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Not sure I can describe this properly, but my question is related to the metering rod in the carb of my Model 81 coupe. As I look at the metering rod now, it is held by the spring tension in the full up position all the time. There is a slightly angled tongue on the flat piece the metering rod attaches to, but it does not engage anything.

It looks to me like the tongue should ride under the pin that protrudes from the side of the adjacent linkage, but the pin is below the tongue. Can anyone tell me if the pin should be holding the metering rod down, allowing it to rise only when the adjacent linkage rises? Or should it be fully raised all the time as it is now.

If the pin should be riding on top of the metering rod tongue, is there a certain procedure to align it that way. There doesn't seem to be enough slack in the linkage to "pop" it under the pin.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I certainly learn a lot by reading the postings here.

Paul Caldwell

Comments

• If you e-mail me with a fax number, I will send you the pages from my mechanical procedure manual. I will try to scan them for you if I can.
  • I scanned them and e-mailed to you. Let me know if this helps.
  • Thanks very much for the quick reply and e-mails. I printed them out and read the description of how the metering rod is supposed to work, and it appears that mine is set up to operate correctly. I will have to watch it sometime when the engine is running to see if it actually moves :>)

My procedure manual was issued May 1937, and it obviously does not contain the info on the 38 model year like your December 1937 issue. Guess I had better scout around to find one.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it very much.

Paul
  • Maybe we will see each other at a meet and we can trade books.
This discussion has been closed.