Optima 6 Volt Battery ?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Just wondering if anyone has used this battery and your thoughts about them. Thanks Ron

Comments

• Can't say enough good things about the Optima battery. Have had one in my '55 Dodge 1/2 ton PU for about 7 years. It also has a 6V positive ground set up like the Hudson. It will easily outlast any battery because of the way the cells are designed to resist the sulphation that eventually kills regular batteries. This battery can sit for 12 months and still start a car! For vintage cars that are driven infrequently, these are the ticket.

The only drawback is one of originality. The Optima 6V is an unusual case size and the look of the battery is not like the original tar-top style.

Also have another vintage car with a 12V Optima (6 years) and have had the same good results.

Tom Drew
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yes, Optima's are good batteries, and you can even purchase a plastic simulated 'tar top' battery shell to encase the Optima battery, thus masking the unusual 'look'.

That said, they are more expensive than regular batteries, and you might want to shop around and get all your ducks in order before making your final decision. I am now on my second DEKA battery (a traditional-style 6-volt model) and am very happy with that brand. It sits in the car all winter (5 months at least) without running, then starts like a champ. The last one gave me 6 years of service and was still perfect when I replaced it (I mistakenly thought the battery was going bad, but the problem lay elsewhere).

No doubt that the Optima is a good battery, and I've heard a lot of people swear by it, but it's not cheap, and one must balance the expected life of the battery with the price. I paid $70 for my DEKA and expect a min. of 6 years from it. If the Optima is $130, then can you expect at least 11 years use from it?
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Optima’s are more expensive but you missed one of the real benefits of this type of battery technology - no leaking battery acid to ruin your freshly restored or original baby :cool: .

I think their warranty/replacement is a bit better than most and I don't know if they still show this but when Optima’s originally came out they used to have a video of someone shooting a .45 round straight through the battery casing and then they started the car up and drove it away!

Not that I get into shoot outs or anything - but I thought if a battery can stand up to that, it will hold up to anything I can do to it!

All that being said - I don't have any experiences with the 6V version but am a firm believer (and user) of the 12V system in all my vehicles.
  • Yes, Optima's are good batteries, and you can even purchase a plastic simulated 'tar top' battery shell to encase the Optima battery, thus replacing its unusual 'look' with an original look.

I have a good used one (Optima 850) FOR SALE as I have converted my 54 HSWH to 12v.

No doubt that the Optima 850 is a good battery, and I've heard a lot of people swear by it, but it's not cheap. If the Optima is $130, then can you expect at least 11 years use from it?

Just leave me a private message in case you'd like to purchase my used

1. Optima model 850/6 with 850 cold cranking amps

2. Battery box with cover that depicts/reflects the original 6v batteries (no one suspects that an Optima 850 lies beneath the cover

PS: I just checked the battery and it's in the green/good range on my battery charger tester.

My ZIP code is 38138-7016

Will pkg and ship UPS, ground, prepaid in advance

John G. Williams

7584 Foster Ridge Rd

Germantown, Tn 38138-7016

901 753 1130

$50 plus shpg
  • I can deliver this Optima 850 battery and box to the Hudson meet in Collingswood, IL, June 9-11, if someone is interested in purchasing (free shpg). It's guaranteed to be in good operating condition.

Just let me know if interested and how to contact you during the said meet.

Thanks,

John G Williams
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The only experience I have had is on my refent trip to Pasadena to work on a gaggel of Hudson super sixes, all of which had Optima batteries. One of them had a non-charging generator, and the the Optima battery would not hold a charge overnight, and trickle charging would bring it up enough to start the car, but it would then die during the day. However, we hooked it up to a heavy duty charger, which poked 12 amps into it overnight and then 10 amps all the next day. I repaired the generator and from then on we had no problems. So it appears that if the Optima is left flat it needs a good "kick in the guts" to bring it back up again. I wish we could buy them here in N.Z.!

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.