What is it?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just got an engine from what I believe was a 1955 Wasp. Engine number is: F5812. Got the head off and am soaking the cylinders. 6 of the 7 have allowed the WD40 to go past the rings. That's a good sign I think. This engine has a 262 cast iron head.

If it is a 262, can it be bored out safely to 3 3/16" which is the stock 308 bore? I always thought these engines were a little bit better since they had the 1/2 head bolts and were less prone to headgasket problems. It's been better than 30 years since I rebuilt a Hudson and don't remember the wall thicknesses.

Hey, I only spent $25 for it anyway... :rolleyes:

Comments

• 6 OF THE 7 CYLS???? 262 WERE ONLY 6 CYLS. ALSO THEY WERE 3 AND 9/16 BORE AND CAN NOT BE BORED OUT TO HORNET SPECKS WHISH WAS 3 AND 13/16 BORE sdILL ALBRIGHT
  • try adding a mixture of 1/2 diesel fuel (destroys moisture) and automatic transmission fluid (destroys rust); these 2 will help more.
  • Thanks guys, been too long. Bill's got me 5 of 6...FYI Bill and I go back to 1972 and swapped Hudsons and parts for about 15 years or so. Yes, the number is stamped on the boss on the driver's side. Still got a good deal, included distributor, starter & air cleaner which I'll put on EBay.

Also, been a long time, the Hydramatic is junk and I need to know how to get the silly thing off of the motor without breaking something. Thanks.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Once you have the engine freed up.. Turn the flywheel until you can find the small drain plug in the torque converter. Pull the plug,Drain it, then remove the 30 bolts and nuts that attach the torus to the flywheel. (Kinda like taking a torque converter apart.) More fluid will drain out so make sure you don't do this on the living room rug! Then take the bolts out of the bell housing and the tranny will come off. Even if the transmission is "junk" don't throw it away.There has to be some useable parts in it. They don't make them anymore..

Have fun,

Dave W. Fl.
  • I just got an engine from what I believe was a 1955 Wasp. Engine number is: F5812. Got the head off and am soaking the cylinders. 6 of the 7 have allowed the WD40 to go past the rings. That's a good sign I think. This engine has a 262 cast iron head.

If it is a 262, can it be bored out safely to 3 3/16" which is the stock 308 bore? I always thought these engines were a little bit better since they had the 1/2 head bolts and were less prone to headgasket problems. It's been better than 30 years since I rebuilt a Hudson and don't remember the wall thicknesses.

Hey, I only spent $25 for it anyway... :rolleyes:
    Good for you! I have an engine that I collected from a 55 Hornet Hollywood. It is identical to the one you are describing. My engine is a 56 308 replacement engine with a 262 head installed. The engine has 1/2 inch studs installed too. I suspect your engine is indeed a 308 replacement engine. The 56 engines have hydraulic lifters while the 55 engines have the solid lifters.

One way to distinguish a 308 engine from it's lesser cubic inch varients is a reinforcement rib that is cast into the side of the block. This rib can be seen on the distributor side of the engine block just above the pan. See the attached picture and you will see the rib.

engine-1.jpg

Good Luck with your engine.
  • Ken, You're 100% right. There is the extra boss below the distributor so that makes it a 308 anyway. It's probably a replacement engine as well as the 262 head looks like it came from the factory with the 1/2" holes for the bolts. It'll probably end up in the '52 Hornet. Thanks for the input guys.
  • Got any information on that engine stand? I would love to put one together.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you're just looking for an engine stand to hold the engine while you work on it, contact Ed Moore, I think he has several of them! http://users.rcn.com/ed-moore/bas/bas.htm
This discussion has been closed.