Loud popping noise

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
As I was cruising around yesterday in the old '48 Commodore, I heard a loud pop just as a made a right turn. I wasn't going fast, and I didn't hear it again. I don't even know whether it's something worth looking into (where would I start?) Anybody ever have that happen?

Jason

Comments

• Lots of time a shock will do that. Also, loose ball joints, Spring, Loose wheel, and of course rocks in strange places. Motor mounts will too. Best just drive it, it sounds like the type thing that will not be any harder to fix if you wait until it gets bad enough that you can find it.
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    Jason, sounds like a rear spring shackle. If you hear it again, turning the same direction, check the leaf springs rear hangers. Or the anti-sway bar in the rear. for worn bushings. Otherwise, it's a rock.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    bobbydamit wrote:
    Jason, sounds like a rear spring shackle. If you hear it again, turning the same direction, check the leaf springs rear hangers. Or the anti-sway bar in the rear. for worn bushings. Otherwise, it's a rock.

The sound came from the rear and I don't think there was rock in the road. I have replacement shackles from my parts car. Are you saying that it may have slipped or that it's probably broken?

Jason
  • I heard a similar pops on my 48 Commodore. It was a broken bushing on the center drive shaft bearing. The drive shaft would move and hit the frame. Niels
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    Slips in and out of the shackle as you add or subtract weight. May be bent, twisted or the bushing is frozen and breaks free once and awhile with movement. I'd look there first before the center bearing mounts. You can hear them knock on acceleration or deceleration, depending on which rubber mount has let loose. The spring shackle is notorious for noise on turning corners. I raced them many years ago and we could tell it right away on the dirt tracks.
This discussion has been closed.