37' Terraplane resistors and bulb

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am looking to install resistors to run my gauges and lights in 6 volts. I have a 12 volt battery and alternator. Does anyone know what type of resistor I would use to accomplish this? On another issue, I installed the headlights this weekend and can't get them to work. The parking lights worked. Where do I install a ground to the headlights? I also need the bulb # for the liscense light. If anyone knows the bulb # I would be thankful. I could not find the # in the manual.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I've no idea about the resistors. As to the headlight problem, you might have a bad switch...have you tested it with a continuity tester? For a ground, I soldered a wire right to the socket, and ran it back to a ground point on the frame. Incidentally, as you may know, you can now buy 6 volt halogen headlight bulbs with the same prefocus base as your present headlights, but much brighter. The shop manual indicates a #63 for the license plate light.
  • Thanks, Jon.

Switch is good. I need to take them apart again and install a ground. I bought new bulbs from NAPA in 6 volts. The parking lights work. It just stumped me that the headlights would not be grounded if the parking light was.
  • OK. I found the resistors at NAPA. I had to put in 3 of them. Each one dropped it down 2 volts. I just had to make short jumper wires to keep it in series. Amen!
  • Jon B wrote:
    I've no idea about the resistors. As to the headlight problem, you might have a bad switch...have you tested it with a continuity tester? For a ground, I soldered a wire right to the socket, and ran it back to a ground point on the frame. Incidentally, as you may know, you can now buy 6 volt halogen headlight bulbs with the same prefocus base as your present headlights, but much brighter. The shop manual indicates a #63 for the license plate light.

Jon,

I am out of the loop on a lot of the updated items available. The 6v halogen bulbs sound like a great upgrade. Would they work in a 38 Tplane? Do they burn very hot? Where can I get a couple? Thanks for your help.

Paul Caldwell
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Here is the place: http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/ . I bought the bulbs ("American pre-focus") from him directly, in Hershey last fall. It looks like he has American distributors (see webpage). If yours has the flange with three teardrop-shaped holes in it, then his bulbs should go right in. I have not had mine in for long, so don't know what the effect of driving all night would be, on the battery. But so far, I've had no problems and they are definitely brighter than the old style ones!
  • Good to an electronic supply house and ask for ZENIER DIODES that will handle the wattage you will need for your insturments, That will lower the voltage to 6v with a load on them. Resistors generate heat and do not give you a true 6v.
  • tombpa wrote:
    Good to an electronic supply house and ask for ZENIER DIODES that will handle the wattage you will need for your insturments, That will lower the voltage to 6v with a load on them. Resistors generate heat and do not give you a true 6v.

Thanks, Tombpa. That was what I was looking for. Aguy at a meet in March showed me some, but I could not remember what they were. I was excited it was my first meet!
  • Thanks for the information Jon, I will check it out.

Paul
This discussion has been closed.