1930 Hudson in Brazil

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi to all of you, and greetings. I am a Hudson fan and I live in Brazil. I have been searching for a good car to buy and restore for quite some time. Last monday I got a phone call from a guy saying there was a Hudson in his garage that belonged to his father and had been sitting there for 30 years. I went to see the car. It is a 1930 Hudson, straight eight engine. The car is a two doors convertible (with glass windows) and has a spare tire on each side.A hand written paper says that the car has a body by Fischer? can someone help me identifying what car is that?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I was not aware that Fisher made bodies for Hudson in 1930....but I could be wrong! What is the serial number of the car? Perhaps we can verify the year, of you could post that.
  • The car is not close to where I live. But I will try to go back and check the serial number. Where can I find the serial number? Did Hudson build any model in 1930 with the straight eight and a body that is convertible, accomodates 5 people, and has two doors only? (+ two spare tires and a luggage rack on the back)
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Hudson built the Essex 'Sun Sedan' but this did not have a straight eight engine.

I'm not sure where the serial number plate is, in 1930. I would guess that it's still mounted on the firewall (on the engine side). Or, they may have started mounting it on the front door post (same as windshield post) above the top hinge, on the right side.

1930%20Essex%20Sunsedan%20f3q%20BW.JPG
  • Hudson did some strange things in the export market, just like most US car manufacturers. It's not impossible that a Brazilian importer put Fisher bodies on Hudson chassis to beat tax laws or something like that. It wasn't uncommon for importers to be able to import chassis and bodies separately and not pay import tax on a completed car. In any case, this would be a very scarce car and would be worthwhile to save if at all possible.
  • Is the engine a flathead? If the car is GM, it would not have a flathead....
  • Jon B wrote:
    Hudson built the Essex 'Sun Sedan' but this did not have a straight eight engine.

I'm not sure where the serial number plate is, in 1930. I would guess that it's still mounted on the firewall (on the engine side). Or, they may have started mounting it on the front door post (same as windshield post) above the top hinge, on the right side.

1930%20Essex%20Sunsedan%20f3q%20BW.JPG

Jon B,

The car I saw looks alike the one you pictured here. Only that it is positively a Hudson, it has a straight eight and the hood has small doors(?) instead of louvers. The car also has glass windows, for front and back passengers.I will post pictures as soon as I get them.
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    Herman - in '30 Hudson did not make it's own open models, they were built by Briggs. Fisher was a maker of bodies for GM.

For a positive ID what Jon suggested is best, a photo.

It is possible the car was sold as a chassis only & bodied in Brazil. This was usually the case with Hudson built cars of the period sold in Australia & some of the body styles built there NOT offered by Hudson in the U.S.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Hudson did indeed make the Sun Sedans in 1930, but they were built by Biddle & Smart. A number were imported to New Zealand, but didn't sell, so they were all re-bodied locally and called Colonial saloons.

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.