1935 Hudson Terraplane

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm renovating my terraplane. I'm now on to the cable brakes and brake shoes. Two of the brake shoes (pads) are badly contaminated with oil but fine underneath the oil. I was going to replace them all but someone has said "take them off and boil them with washing up liquid". I'm gonna give it a try but has anyone else done or heard of this or has other suggestions for cleaning them? Thanks.

Comments

• Replace them. It will be well worth the extra expense later on down the road.
  • For a stop gap you could soak the shoes in mineral spirits, but oil soak shoes really should be relined or replaced.

Good Luck

Steve
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    another stop-gap: Why not soak in lacquer thinner, that's a solvent for darned near anything!
  • Lacquer thinner works fine. I would suggest gently using a propane torch to bring as much of the oil to the surface several times before using it though. Get as much of the oil out as possible before using the thinner. I used to use this method for the parking brakes on the old (now) Ford 5 speed truck transmissions that came out in the first SuperDutys. Only because new linings were'nt available at all for a while.

I would really suggest that you utilize new linings if at all possible though. This is only a temporary fix and eventually you will glaze the linings and have more problems than you want.
This discussion has been closed.