Hard shifting transmission (or not) question

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 53 Hornet with a four speed automatic transmission. Whenever I am starting out at a low level of speed, the transmission will shift very hard into second gear. However if I quickly speed up from a stop, the transmission will shift very smoothly through all the gears.

Is there any fix to this problem?

Comments

• Depends on who rebuilt it last. The Hydramatics were pretty popular in the late 50'2 and early 60's for performance modifications as they were really stout. It's possible that somebody put upgrade bands and clutches in it at one time. B&M Hydro was one of the more prolific drag racing transmission builders. If it's not that, it's in the adjustment on the shift down rods. Not enough room here to explain but I see Hydramatic Manuals on EBay all the time pretty cheap. I highly recommend owning one even if you have somebody else do your adjustments.
  • Any automatic transmission shift is controled by a combination of throttle pressure and governer pressure which the throttle pressure is adjustable. Low gear in an cast iron hydro is completly mechanical, Probably your throttle adjustment is off. Email me and I will try to help more, I think I still have my old manuals
This discussion has been closed.