Need a good Hudson mechanic in the Los Angeles / Southern California area

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I need recommendations for a good solid Hudson mechanic in my area (So Cal)for a 1948 Commodore 6. I have some fuel starvation / tune up / ? issues that need resolution. Must be good professional work done in a timely manner ... and I pay in cash! Thanks. Niels

Comments

• hornet_54
    hornet_54 Senior Contributor
    nhp1127 wrote:
    I need recommendations for a good solid Hudson mechanic in my area (So Cal)for a 1948 Commodore 6. I have some fuel starvation / tune up / ? issues that need resolution. Must be good professional work done in a timely manner ... and I pay in cash! Thanks. Niels

Try http://socalhet.org/
  • Bill Albright lives in Fontana...one of the best around.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Ken Perkins does good work at a reasonable price.
  • Bill Albright lives in Fontana...one of the best around.

I used him once and I won't use him again. Niels
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    I feel that if someone has a problem with anyone's work, they should address it to the person involved, not on this forum. I've had nothing but positive results from both Ken Perkins and Bill Albright for the last 25 years.
  • It was addressed with the individual and I told him that I would not recommend him. I gave my honest feedback on this forum only in response to someone directly recommending him. If it is politically incorrect to be honest and give one's opinion and experience, so be it.
  • I don't mind if someone post a negative remark about someone else on this forum, but they need to give detailed "specifics", to back their story. If there is someone out there doing "shoddy" work, I'm sure it would be good info for ALL of us to have, but, you need to back it up with a story, that gives "details" as to why you feel that way. It could just be a simple misunderstanding, and by "putting it out there", it might get resolved. There are good mechanics, and bad ones, and I for one feel that any info I can get to tell the two apart, is valuable information, and SHOULD be posted on this site.
  • wkitchens wrote:
    I don't mind if someone post a negative remark about someone else on this forum, but they need to give detailed "specifics", to back their story. If there is someone out there doing "shoddy" work, I'm sure it would be good info for ALL of us to have, but, you need to back it up with a story, that gives "details" as to why you feel that way. It could just be a simple misunderstanding, and by "putting it out there", it might get resolved. There are good mechanics, and bad ones, and I for one feel that any info I can get to tell the two apart, is valuable information, and SHOULD be posted on this site.

Bill is a nice guy. That is why I didn't do a post specifically on this that would be possibly construed as hateful or vindictive. Perhaps I should have spelled everything out, perhaps not. With that said however, I was not at all happy with things. I sent you a private message and you will be copied on all the details. You'll be able to make up your own mind.
  • Hi,

I hope that nobody else received the same set of emails from Niels that I did. I found it very disturbing and feel that this is not the place to air "dirty laundry". We have all had bad experiences with people repairing our vehicles. However, there are few of us left and getting farther between. We don't need to bash each other's heads in.

As I've said before in posts, I've known Bill since 1972 and he had never done anything intentionally wrong with me. Bill always seemed to trade me vehicles with blown head gaskets though... :D It became kind of an inside joke. In my opinion, Bill is one of the guys that basically saved the hobby in Southern California. When I first met him, he was into Muntz Jets and funny looking Volvo convertibles from the mid 50's.

If Niels had a bad experience, so be it. And yes, it's ok to say that you had a bad experience but, IMHO that's where it should lie.

Now, I'll get off of my soapbox and allow that there are a number of good resotoration experts in the Southern California area and I'm sure that even the yellow pages can direct you to somebody that is capable of working on your Hudson. :cool:
  • Hello BacktoHudsons,

I respect your loyalty and freindship to Bill. That said, I had sent you the string of e-mails between Bill and I only to validate my case. I also had never mentioned him replacing my NON-TINTED left front vent glass with a TINTED one or that the coolant leak destroyed my engine paint job that he had just performed. I tried to resolve it, Bill is the one to tell me to take my business elsewhere. It is people like me and the rest of us on the forum who are buying parts and repairing our Hudsons that are going to keep this hobby alive.

I have no ill will towards Bill but someone else is going to be getting my money and rightfully so. I'll get off my soapbox aswell. I've said what was necessary. Regards, Niels
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Hi, Guys: I think there is a diplomatic way of dealing with differences of opinion with fellow Hudsonites 'within the family'. I have no input on what the complaint is, nor do I wish to became party to a dispute. Obviously one Hudson guy has a gripe -- well-founded or unfounded -- with another Hudson guy's work, no doubt about it.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to simply, in the future, post a message like, 'I have certain issues with Joe Doaks' repair work and would be happy to discuss this with anyone who wishes to e-mail me at *****" --? Then, a person has established that he has a complaint, and anyone who takes the time to contact him, can get his side of the story.

If we were opening up both barrels on someone 'outside the family' ('my new Belchfire Eight is a real lemon -- don't buy one!"), that is one thing. Be we are small fish in an extremely small pond over here in Hudsonland, and too much thrashing around causes ripples that spread everywhere. You can't swing your fist too far, here, before you meet someone else's nose. We're all in this pond together. Of course there will be legitimate claims and misunderstandings but if we blast away in public, it only drags down the whole group.

So, raise your objections if you feel you're justified, but please, let's do it in a way that doesn't turn our bulletin board into one of those Sunday morning TV shout-fests! For our hobby's sake and the sake of our friends, we can do better.
  • Since everyone is getting off their soapbox, I guess I'll climb on and give My 2 cents worth. As Jon said we are small fish in the sea of auto clubs, but, in my opinion,that makes it even more important that we as a club share information about problems we have with mechanics, parts suppliers, car haulers etc. so that we may save a fellow enthusiast from grief. We do not have to shout at the top of our lungs that, SO and SO did this! Just point out that there have been problems that were not resolved and IF, the reader is interested they can contact the person by Email for the details.

This goes for HUDSON people as well as, Brand X people...Personally, If someone can save me time, money and heartache, by informing me of problems to avoid. I say THANKS.

This is just my opinion and if you add 5 bucks to it you can get a breakfast biscuit and a cup of coffee.(small coffee of course,and price may have to be adjusted to your area of the country)

Now I'll get off the Box and someone else can climb on.

BJ--TN

Bob Hickson
This discussion has been closed.