Modifying? Please Don't do this!

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Since I get lots of e-mail about my modifications, obviously, there are a lot of people out there trying different things. I don't like to badmouth another person's idea, but there have been a lot of questions asked about what to do to get clearance between the oilpan of a Chevy motor, and the tierods. Morosso makes an oilpan, that comes back 12 inches, then drops straight down. It seems the easy "fix", that everyone wants to do is heat the centerpoint steerarm, and bend it down. Yes, it IS an easy fix, but you need to be aware, that not only have you thrown the geometry of the steering off,and will have to re-align the frontend, and softened the metal when you heated it,but you have created a "SAFETY HAZZARD"! By doing this, you now put the centerpoint steerarm, and it's attached tie-rods, just inches from the ground. I know, I know, it's your car, and you'll do what you want, but attached is a picture of this having been done. I'm just saying,"I wouldn't want MY family riding around in a car with this done. In fact, my family DID ride around in this car, TILL I SAW THIS! I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of "modifying", on this Forum, but all I'm saying is, at least make it a "SAFE" change!

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Wes,

Not only is the center arm exposed, It is so much lower than the wheel end of the tie rods, there is going to be a lot of Bump Steer .One wheel in a hole or on a bump and the thing will self steer !!. It's an old rule to keep all the steering knuckles and tie rod ends parallel to each other. I sure wouldn't want to drop one wheel off the edge of the road in that one!

Dave W.Fl
  • The main thing to remember when making your steering work...NEVER EVER HEAT UP THE PITTMAN ARM OR CENTER LINK ON A HUDSON. This seriously weakens the metal and I have seen them snap off under duress. I am a certified welder and have over 25 years of fabrication experience, please don't do this!!
  • I did that to my car and I wish I had never done it. Properly cut and weld the oilpan!

I wore out my front tires in about 500 miles because the toe was so bad.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Aww come on guys, lighten up. Everybody knows that heating and bending steel makes it stronger, not weaker. And what would those knuckle-head Hudson engineers, any automotive engineer, know about steering geometry and bump steer?

Seriously, cut and weld the oil pan, extend the oil pick up as well if you have to. Don't even think about the heating and bending route.i
This discussion has been closed.