Heater Core Removal

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Can someone tell me how to get the heater core out of a '48 Super Six? Do the water tubes "screw in" to the core? I can't see any other way to get it out, but I don't want to start unscrewing them if that's not the way to get it out. I've got the motor housing off, and can move the core around, I just don't see it coming out, without removing those tubes. Thanks!

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    No Wes, they don't screw out.

After the motor housing is off, there are a couple of screws that hold the core up in there. Of course you have the hoses off.

Ya gotta take off that sheet-metal plate that is against the firewall in the engine compartment, with a hole in it for each pipe, so you can get enough wiggle room to get the pipes out of the firewall. The plate is held on by 2 long screws that remove from the inside.

There is probably some dum-de-dum packed in there to make it airtight, and probably some stuff between the top of the core and the box.

Just angle the core down and wiggle 'er out.

It's worse if it's hot and the skeeters are bitin'.
  • Howdy, pard. Maybe I can be of some help. My '50 Pacemaker has the floor panel out and the firewall was cut by the previous owner. The heater core is very plainly visible, if you want to come take a look at it. I doubt if I will need it as I plan to go with a Vintage air system or something like that.

Billy
  • Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll just wiggle on it a little more this weekend. I could only get it out this far.
  • Wes,--- On my 41 the feeder lines were just standard pipe that was threaded into the core & protruded through the firewall where the water hoses attached. Didn't realize that the step-downs were any different? Cliff Minard.
This discussion has been closed.