WTB Hudson speed parts

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Okay all, I am posting this for my dad, who is not "computer literate" enough to figure out how to sign on to a forum and take part in a discussion forum (no thtat there is anything wrong with that...)

Anyway, he is looking into putting together a vintage speed set-up on a short wheelbase hudson (52 wasp coupe). After I told him that Clifford has the heads available once again, he seemed real interested, until he saw the price. I though for a fresh head without problems, or other issues it was a fair price.

Anyway, he is looking for several items. Here's his list:

Edmunds or Clifford head for a later wide block (not a 48-50, which I doubt there is a clifford head available for anyway)

Short wheelbase single pipe headers, not sure who manufactured these, and unless I read wrong, i think the product from Clifford is for all long (IE hornet) wheelbase cars

A 2-2 intake for a hudson, edmunds, and for a later model (hornet) I think earlier models work all the same, since intake and exhaust manifolds are interchangeable from 48-56. (this might not be needed though)

THat's about it. If anyone can help or guide him, I guess thru me, let me know. I would (and he would) really appreciate the help!

Best!

Rick

Comments

• Oh boy, he's not asking much! I used to run a highly modified all Hudson '52 Wasp Hollywood so I've been through this...

First, the Clifford head is the best on the market for the Hudson aftermarket. He utilized a good aluminum alloy and the crossribs helped keep the warpage down. Second, the Clifford headers used to come three different ways but I believe that the only way to get them now is for the long wheel base cars. You may be able to contact them and obtain the flange and stubs to build your own. Third, unless he's going to run a highly modified cam with the 7X valve reliefs, he will not need the two twos. It usually ends up being overcarbureted. There are a lot of 1 bbl carbs out there with better flow than the Carters Hudson used though. Twin-H manifold is easily modified with mount adapters.

Last, either use the Dual Range Hydro-matic or the T85N transmission.

I had a B&M Hydro in my Wasp and it would light up the tires at will. The T85N (some had overdrive as well) was most commonly used by Ford with the 352 & 390 FE engines in passenger cars. An adapter to mate with the Hudson engine or bell housing is not too difficult to make.

I see all of these parts pretty regularly on EBay and of course put an ad in the WTN. There's still a lot of this stuff out there!
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Steve Farkaly, in Indianapolis, http://www.uncommonengineering.com

makes custom Hudson headers.
  • His 52 was rebuilt, and has a single range hyrdo. What amazes me, and I can remember this from being 13 or so when it got rebuilt, is that when it would shift from first to second, it would always chirp the tires. (still left an impression) And this isn't an aggressive rebuild, either, I guess just well done. It drives great, and he already has the edmunds manifold, but won't listen to "too much carbureation" he thinks that the volumetric flow area of a WA-1 and a WGD are close enough that it won't make a difference. (he of course is wrong) I can argue this with him, and he just doesn't understand.

(On a side note, before I got back into my hudson, I have a 95 Dodge neon, coincidentally is called an ACR,which was a factory race model built for SCCA racing, that I "souped up" , I know, don't you guys give me a lot of crap... hehe, I still have it BTW, it's quick.... but I lost interest in it. I swapped out the throttle body, a 49 MM, which is what's on the stick cars for one from an automatic, which is 52 MM, which doesn't ound like much of a difference, but it sure is, especially on a small 4 cylinder)

I hope he listens sooner or later, or makes an adapter for WA-1 on the edmunds, then why doesn't he just go with twin h??????

uncommon engineering is unbelievable.... egads!!!!!!

tell me more about the t85N trans, I am looking for an alternative for my 50, mainly to make it auto. I would prefer to use an adapter plate and avoid any machine work, but making a cross member is not out of the question.
  • Nothing wrong with the Single Range...just my 2 cents worth.

Yes, uncommon engineering is outrageous!!! I just was of the impression he wanted to make it vintage fast...

T85Ns are a not very common any longer as people got of off the 'three on the tree' by the early 60's. The last one I had came from a '67 Galaxie with a 390 and overdrive. That's the only reason I know anything about them. The input shaft is longer than the Hudson one but I think a spacer would probably do the trick. Sorry I don't have much else info but there's an idea to track down...

Good Luck!!!
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    If you can find one Clifford used to make a 3 Weber side draft carb Hudson manifold. Looked great!
This discussion has been closed.