1946 Supersix Radiator

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a recored 1946 Supersix radiator for sale. I was shocked to get a quote of $615.00 to recore mine. I live in Hawaii on an outer island and I think it would be just as expensive to send it to Honolulu to have it recored. I was expecting to see the quote at around $300.00 or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jeff

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You're right. That IS totally ridiculous! Bide your time, someone will have an idea.
  • I had to replace the radiator in my 46 P/U and was quoted around $400 for a recore. It was a little pricey for my project budget, I ended up getting a ford 6 cylinder p/u radiator (new, not used or recored) and fabricating some brackets and finding some molded hoses that fit. I can get you some pics of the install if you want. Total cost was about $140
  • What year Ford truck radiator did you get? I'm sure I could get one with no problem out here. Thanks,

Jeff
  • It was a radiator for use in 6 cylinder ford trucks from the mid sixties through the late seventies. The catalog model number was 397 (cost $120). It is about 1.5 inches shorter and almost an inch wider. I fabricated a piece for the passenger side mounting and screwed it to the inner fender and lower front apron. for the driver's side mount was made from some flat steel that I welded into an "L" and bolted to the original radiator mounting spot. For the top mount, I cut out a sheetmetal piece , drilled a hole in it and epoxied it to the upper tank then attached the upper support bar to it.

The inlet and outlets are close to the correct positions (the upper one is offset to the left about 4 inches). I went to the autoparts store and looked through the molded hose racks to find some that would work.(hose cost: $20)
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    Can you take a pic of your set-up, interested in seeing how it bolts together.

Thanks, Lance
  • here are some pics
  • and some more ...email for larger pics 1uc4me2@yahoo.com (remove 1 at beginning for actual address)
  • the radiator is a Modine and the part number is 397
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    I agree, nice work, now I have an idea on what I need to do to my truck.
  • thanks...

I tried to do it so if I (or the next owner) want to go back to original there aren't any modifications to undo except a couple of 1/4 holes drilled into the front apron.

I can see if I can find the hose part numbers if anyone needs them
  • Thanks for all the info. I was able to find a Modine 397. A couple were already being shipped from L.A. for stock at the radiator shop. Thanks for posting the pics as well.
This discussion has been closed.