what is left of the six volt equipment taps off of one of the batteries, GM

alternator,3 speed w/OD. Seems to be well thought out and everything

works except for the radio. All is good EXCEPT someone has attempted

a weld repair on the top of the head between #5 and #6 and the repair has

failed. Leaking externally at the repair and all cylinders are between

170-175 psi except for #5 which is 150 psi. Either the crack extends into

the combustion chamber or the head gasket has failed. That being said it

also came with another 308 motor with a factory aluminum head and a

freshly surfaced 262 iron head "304621" .

I'm guessing that I can swap the iron 262 head on until I can get the

Clifford head properly repaired. What I need to locate is a head gasket

to make this happen, Any sources? Also what years did the 308 have

1/2" head bolts (studs now) Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff Lynn

Comments

• The 55 And 56 Had 1/2 Inch Head Bolts. Only The 7x Engine Had Studs Or Clifford Modified Blocks To Accept The Thicker Head. Drill Out The 262 Head To Slid On The Studs And It Will Work. Dale Cooper Of Cinn , Ohio Has Head Gaskets. He Advertises In The Wtn, Try Alumaseal For Temporary Fix As That Compression Reading Is Outstanding. And Should Gilve You Some Driving Pleasure Before Changing Heads. Keep An Eye On Oil Level And White Siccoloration If Water Gets Internally. Good Luck, Bill Albright
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Thanks Bill,

Cool, The 262 head already has 1/2 inch holes so that'll work. Tried the the alumaseal

earlier tonight and it really slowed down the leak but didn't seal it. Was worth a try

though,and I did get some seat time. Some copied pages from the WTN came with the

car. Where do I subscribe? Could I get a phone # for Dale Cooper from Cinci so I can

get some head gaskets coming? Plan is to do a leakdown on #5 cylinder tomorrow

night to determine where that cylinder is leaking. Oil shows no sign of contamination.
  • Dale Cooper

7444 Vine & Paddock

Cincinnati, OH 45216-1712

(513)821-6200

http://www.hudsonmotorcarco.com/
  • Is the '49 you just got 2 tone brown?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    For more on the H-E-T Club go to http://www.hudsonclub.org/ . Follow the link to membership, to join.

Meanwhile, you might want to go to the Club webpage on events, to make sure you're not missing anything in your area. Click the 'Chapters' link to find the names of contact people in your area...there might be a chapter function nearby. Joining the National does not obligate you to join the local chapter but if you want to tap into the 'network' on a grass-roots level, there's no subsitute for getting to know the Hudson owners in your state.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Yes, from an estate in Michigan.
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    Jeff, you make an old Hudson race car driver like me drool when you post messages like this. I hope to see you at one of the meets and get a first hand look at your machine. Fine job getting this one resurrected, and doing it right. Keep it up and let's see how much smoke those poor tires can make. Best drag time in a Hudson was 14.92 sec. for the 1/4 mile. Blew the doors off all the 8's running in my class. Really miss the figure 8 dirt days. Unfortunately, we bent, warped, twisted and busted too many 2 dr. bathtubs to death back in those days. What I'd give today if I had just stored a couple of those lightning fast rolling boulders I raced. At least I'm doing my part to save a few today. Welcome to the club. Bobby
This discussion has been closed.