Ebay 1949 Other Makes : Businessman Coupe

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Bidding is @2900 with reserve not met.

This looks like a cool car - how rare is it?

Is it supposed to have a back seat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4555464150&category=6472

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    No back seat if an authentic business coupe. I have seen one such car in my life as a Hudsonite (in New Jersey) so I'm sure it was a real 'factory' offering.
  • A lot of times, the "Buy it now" price is intended to catch that impulsive quick buyer and is more than the reserve. We'll see on this one. Really a quite rare car, I've only seen two other stepdown Business Coupes. At least nobody would have rust to deal with, that's a value of it's own.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    My 49 trunk looked much nicer than this and I have completely cut the trunk out for replacement and have rear frame rail issues as well - so yeah, this one is most likely will need some major rust repairs at least in the rear section.

What was the no-back seat option for? Sales samples, sleeping...? It would be a great place for my dog (my forum's namesake!) to ride around in comfort!
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    The business coupes did not have a back seat, but rather had a pass throught to the trunk, giving extra space for sample cases, luggage, product, advertising aids, etc. This was back in the days of salesmen "hitting the road" and calling on every store and shop in their territory. Think "Willie Loman". Business coupes were also offered by Plymouth, Chevrolet and Ford, and probably some others that I am not aware of.
  • I had A 50 Pacemaker business coupe I bought from the original owner. the rear seat had no springs,only modest padding,and would fold to give acess to the trunk.the rear windows do not go down . Brian Moore of Speencerport NY still has one.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    car is also listed on collectorcartraderonline.com for sale price, $12,500
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Hudson did make business coupes although it was dicontinued in '51. By '52 pretty much all makes abandoned business coupes probably because more buyers of the baby boom wanted family sedans. I heard stories that dealers couldn't sell business coupes easily at the the time and some used-car dealers added back seats to business coupes and converted them just to move them off the lot. I'm pretty sure they are rare. They should bring them back today every car you see on the road only has one person in it 95% of the time and back seats are worthless in cars now. LOL
  • The last one I saw was a 1951 Pacemaker. The original owner still had it and the car was outfitted with a custom made display case for Schilling spices. He was a travelling salesman for Schilling and McKormick (spelling?). It had the door to the back like the one in the EBay ad.

Note on the EBay car, it looks like description is pretty valid. The rear floor was torn open to access the fuel sending unit and wasn't welded back up. As the car was driven, the floor ripped to the sides. I think the floor braces for the tank end just about where the rips are.

I have owned probably 30 or 40 Hudsons from Nevada and Southern California with no rust problems. Don't get one from Salt Lake City though, if originally from here they look like they've been on the sea coast...
This discussion has been closed.