Early 50's Shift Linkage

bobbydamit
bobbydamit Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
OK. I should know better but the one lever one cable shifter adjustment is driving me nutz! Is there any way to gain more travel of the cable when lifting up on the shift lever? I have tried to add a return spring to the lever on the Trans so it will return enough to allow 2nd and 3rd, but then it is just barely enough left to raise it to engage 1st and rev. Bad cable or some adjustment I'm missing.???> It is a new replacement cable from the previous owner. I so love the two levers. Thanks Guys. :mad:

Comments

• I recently had the same trouble with my 41. The solution turned out to be with top of the shift lever where it connects to the shift rod. Make sure that it is correctly seated onto the rod since this will allow a longer stroke on the up & down motion of the shift handle. Hope this helps. Cliff Minard.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    I recently adjusted my '49 single lever as follows; With shift lever in neutral 'up' (either tape it to the steering wheel, or have someone hold it) loosen the 1/2" bolt at the base of the steering column. You can access this from under the hood, on the engine side of the column. Then slide the bracket that this locks down up toward the firewall, taking up all of the slack. (You may have to do this a couple of times to get it dialed in) Tighten this bolt down. Now, under the car, loosen the shift lever yoke lock nut (9/16"), remove the pin, and making sure it's in the centered neutral position, adjust the yoke until the pin drops back into the hole. Tighten it all back up and you should be good to go.

On a side note. I just switched from a standard three speed to the overdrive unit, and it was at that point my shift linkage adjustment became an issue. I adjusted it and noticed it still wasn't as easy to engage reverse when cold, as the old transmission was. Then I read in the manual in big bold type that this is normal behavior for overdrive cars. It recommended holding the lever up into reverse when releasing the clutch. It's really not that bad, but just slightly different that it was before.

Good Luck,

Doug
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    I really appreciate the help guys. I replaced and tightened the allen screw at the top of the shift rod on the column. I did not do the under the hood adjusting you suggested and can't wait till I get off work to try it. I had no idea there was an adjustment there. I think Marv Snyder, who owned this before me, being the great mechanic he is, converted this to an O.D. to run less rpm's on the road. He replaced the shift rod to the tranny, all bushings, the cable, pins and cotter pins in this car, but still had trouble setting the linkage just before I bought it. It popped out of third all the way home and the tranny came loose from the bell housing and damaged it jus befor we got home. After rebuilding this all winter and replacing all spring, I hope this finally solves the two man battle this tranny has become. I'll let you all know later. And Vive la' Hudson sticks, ever if they did have sloppy linkage.
This discussion has been closed.