Back to the 50's

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I was just wondering if any of you midwest HET'ers are planning on going to this weekend's Back To The 50's show in St. Paul, MN. I know it's mostly street rods, but there are quite a few classics there, as well. I'm a firm believer that Hudsons should go to as many shows as possible, not just the Hudson shows and meets.

I'm going up for Saturday and Sunday, hope to see some other Hudsons there. (Out of 10,000+ cars...there BETTER be some other Hudsons!)

If you see me driving a '49 two-tone sedan (gray/white)...look me up.

Hudsonly,

Doug Seals

Madison, Wisconsin

Comments

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Mr Seals I salute you!!!!!!!! You are doing, with your Hudson, what is supposed to be done - take it out and show it!!!

Sad to relate what you are doing appears, in most parts of the country, to flying in the face of "don't take it out of the garage - somebody might actually want to touch it!!!"

Happy traveling - I agree with you that Hudsons should be shown EVERYWHERE!!! My greatest regret is that I cannot afford a Hudson -- but if I did you can believe it would be shown anywhere more than two old cars got together.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the kind words and good wishes, Alex. I truly appreciate it.

If ever there was an older 'classic' car that was meant to be driven and enjoyed, it's a Hudson. With a little 'gentle upgrading' (12V, etc.) my stepdown more than keeps up with today's traffic in an extremely safe manner. I was truly impressed at my first Hudson Nationals (2003) with the HET guys that were cruising cross country like it was nothin'! Ten or twenty thousand miles a year is normal for a lot of these guys.

I've got two teenage daughters that I've chauffered around countless times in the Hudson. Mall, movies, parks, wherever teenage girls go these days. They all know about Hudsons now, too. Last year at a local car show, my daughter's friend spyed a little Matchbox series '51 Coupe in the flea market area and bought it for me! Maybe there is hope for the next generation!

Hudsonly,

Doug
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    I attended my FIRST ever ORPHANS CAR MEET with our local chapter of the HET this past Sunday. It was put on by by the CORVAIR CLUB.

Well we pulled in with our caravan of 6 HUDSONS, backed into or spots, popped the hoods and IMMEDIATELY became the center of attraction for the entire day.

I was AMAZED by the ammount of attention that we generated and although the younger GUYS (20-40) had little interest in our cars the Young WOMEN couldn't get enough of them.

So now not only am I the proud owner of a Beautifull 54 Wasp that I drive everyplace I can as an added bonus I am in posession of a true BABE MAGNET....Ahh to be 20 years younger and posess this knowledge
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Every year in August we try and get local Hudsons to the Corvair orphan picnic in Aurora IL. We usually score about 6 Hudson's there and dominate the field...center of attention. I don't care if anyone ruins my car with their finger prints or eyeball prints. We're a drivers club and we should be driving them. I find I have more trouble with my Hudson when it sits for long periods of time. mechanical things need to move. If you wrapped your arm up in a sling for a year or so it would atrophy and you'd loose the use of it.....same thing applies to machines. If ya want something to stare at in your garage get a giant poster of a Hudson. costs less and serves the same function. Only cars that maybe shouldn't be driven are ones' so rare they're irreplaceable if something happens. Even then I've seen Ed Souers taking out his Italia to shows so lets drive em people. Oh and they don't melt in the rain....most of us got so much wax on out cars a waterfall wouldn't stick. I SALUTE you too Doug S.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    TOM-WA- wrote:
    I attended my FIRST ever ORPHANS CAR MEET with our local chapter of the HET this past Sunday. It was put on by by the CORVAIR CLUB.

Well we pulled in with our caravan of 6 HUDSONS, backed into or spots, popped the hoods and IMMEDIATELY became the center of attraction for the entire day.

I was AMAZED by the ammount of attention that we generated and although the younger GUYS (20-40) had little interest in our cars the Young WOMEN couldn't get enough of them.

So now not only am I the proud owner of a Beautifull 54 Wasp that I drive everyplace I can as an added bonus I am in posession of a true BABE MAGNET....Ahh to be 20 years younger and posess this knowledge

BABE MAGNET sounds good but I must be attending the wrong shows and cruise nights. What town do you live in ? LOL
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    Ok. I got the best one yet. Last year I drove a rough 52 Wasp to this event and I was on of three there in the step-down group that I saw. There was even one street rod in the 50's that looked much more impressive than all the 50 Merc's attending. Of course with over 10,000 cars registered, all under 1964, I may have missed one over the three days. 65,000+ folks attended. My Ex wife even spotted my Hudson and told our boys she knew it had to be me, and was pleased I was there in style, with a beat up old Hudson, just like the one we dated in, back in the 60's.

This year I am trying to get the beautiful Blue '51 Pacemaker 2 dr., I bought from Marv Snyders last fall, finished so it will be the best looking stock step-down there. I hope others of my chapter attend as well and we all find a nice grassy spot to wow all the 65K that pass through, reliving there past through the omnipotent presence of our cars. Even if I don't get it done, I will bring the 54 Hornet Special red 2dr. that I sold from this very Forum, and is being picked up on Sunday. At least it will make one last grand appearance before it heads to NE. for a new home. This is the way Hudson are to be remembered. Driven! not sit'in in a cold dark garage or Museum. :p
This discussion has been closed.