anyone running a DG-250-M in a 54 Hudson?-

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
QUESTION: is the DG-250-M (built by Borg Warner's Detroit Gear Division) FULLY interchangeable with Hudson's DG-200?

"There are some differences between the trannys but one should bolt up and function in place of the other. The 250-M (actually, it's a DG-250-M) starts out in 1st gear. The 150 the 150-M, 200 & 200-M start in 2nd gear when in the "D" range. The 250-M was a 1955-only rendition and was used only behind President engines. The DG series was comprised of the DG-150 and DG-200 until 1955. In 1955, there were changes that produced the DG-150-M, DG-200-M & DG-250-M. The changes were internal so the fitup and shift pattern should be the same." (from Mr. Biggs on the Studebaker Forum.)

The DG-200 (a 3-speed tranny with a lockup convertor) wasn't designed to handle Hudson's huge torque and so Detroit Gear designed and built the DG-250-M (1955 only) to handle Studebaker's V8 torque/power, and perhaps for other vehicles as well.

"On this Detriot Gear automatic, it WILL have a thing called a "governor" on it and it MAY have an "Anti-creep" solenoid on it as well. NO overdrive though. It's a 3-speed automatic that starts out in second gear unless you force a first gear start by starting out in the "low" range and then manually shifting to drive once under way OR by tromping the gas pedal from a standstill.

This IS a marvelous tranny when it works right. It had safetys built into it to avert the fears of folks who mistrusted automatics when they were still a novelty. For instance - what other auto do you know of that you can shift into reverse while you're doing 75 MPH on the freeway??? This is because this Detriot Gear, or DG tranny, has safety's engineered into it to prevent catastrophic things like self-destruction when reverse is accidentally selected. That was another reason for the Anti-Creep system. Folks were afraid that their car might wander into an intersection because they were used to being able to leave their foot off the brakes after they'd come to a stop with a standard shift car. The "Anti-Creep" system held the brakes applied until the accelerator was actuated.

It also features a "lock-up" torque convertor. This is to say it has a clutch of sorts INSIDE the torque convertor that gives basically direct drive once the car's in 3rd gear. This avoids the loss of power that a slippery torque convertor has. It makes the DG capable of delivering the same economy as a (non-OD) standard shift tranny can." (again, from Mr. Biggs)

This transmission, AUTOMATIC DRIVE or "Three Bander" Transmission,is known to have been used in the following cars and trucks: Hudson, Humber, International-Divco, Jaguar Mark VII, Jaguar 3.5 Litre, Mercedes 300d, Post Office-Pony Express, Rover 3 Litre and last but not least Studebaker.

Does anyone reading this know if these two tranny's (DG-200 & DG-250-M) are externally-physically the same size with same connections, and mechanically compatible, etc., please post the information herein. i.e., are they fully interchangeable in a Hudson? Anyone know if someone has installed the DG-250-M in a Hudson? This might be a good combination (7X + DG-250-M), plus a beefed up rear end.

This would be good information to know just in case I torque mine up too high and fail the DG-200, or it just wears out from abuse/use.

THANKS for your feedback!

John

Comments

• Anyone have a DG-250-M automatic transmission for sale? (it was ONLY installed in a 1955 Studebaker "President" i.e., HEARSAY

If so, please leave me a private message.
This discussion has been closed.