Spicer/Dana axle positraction question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello all, I ahve a 3.07 geared Dana/Spicer axle in my 1949 hudson coupe. Is there any way to get a positraction unit for this differential? I have heard rumors that this style axle was used in early jeeps and willys. Might there be one available so that I do not hurt the spider gears when doing a burnout?

Comments

• That rearend was used in jeeps,an easy way to get a new rearend gasket, also it was used in some early Fords of the 50's ,it was used in 55 and 56 T-Birds. Don't know what part of country you are in, but you might try Randy's Ring and Pinion,or someone dealing with 55 thru 57 T-Birds. Lou Cote'
  • For parts other than the positraction, note that this axle (Dana '44') was used in the FRONT of fairly recent 4-wheel drive Chevy Blazers and Ford Broncos. This also makes it pretty easy to find someone who knows how to change out ring and pinion, etc., if one doesn't have the tools, knowledge, ambition, or whatever!
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Have a look in drivetrain.com. The Dana 44 was used in by the big 3, Jeep and IHC. New crown wheel and pinions are readily available from 3.07 to 5.89. They also talk of Positraction options
  • Thanks to all. Maybe now I can spin both tires!
This discussion has been closed.