37' T-Plane Lead or no lead?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I replaced the valves in my car about 3 years ago during restoration. They are hardened and I have been using a lead additive. My question is.. is this really necessary anymore?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    In my opinion, no. Not unless you expect to be driving at at 70 or 80 mph all day. The blocks themselves are made of a chrome alloy. I had mine rebuilt in '99 and when I pulled the old valves out -- after running them with Unleaded for several years -- there was no appreciable wear around the edges. I DO put Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank, each fill-up...but that is more to get oil up into the valve guides because there isn't much lubrication up there and otherwise the valves will stick.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    skinned knuckles, a journal for automotive rstoration, did a study on this several years ago, at the time tetra-ethyl was being phased out. their conclusion...leave the lead substitute products where they belong...on the shelves. remember it was introduced to raise octane, not lubricate valves. the above post is correct, the only question i have is at overhaul did hey put in hardened valve seats? if you are concerned with seat recession hardened valve seats would cure that problem. tom
  • In my 1950's guide to carburation and fuels it states Halowax was added to fuel as it is an efficient lubricant which keeps valve stems from becoming dry. Looking at the BP fuel site they state a similar lubricant is added to todays fuels to provide the same function.

Tetraethyl Lead was added to fuel to eliminate engine knock by combining with gasoline to change its specific density and make it vaporize more efficiently. Well, at least according to this book. Which seems to support not adding lead to todays fuels.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    For what it's worth, my friend Frank, an engine rebuilder, and owner of a 33 Cad V12 rumble seat coupe says rule of thumb is, 'If you're not running it hard, (racing) over 3000 rpm, no additive is needed.'

I calculated that my 49 Commadore, in OD, is doing 82 mph at 3000 rpm.
  • Well it's about time I got the lead out!

Thank you gentlemen for your opinions.
  • Remember years ago. AMOCO UNLEADED. Its what you ran if you really wanted to run good. Guess what? NO LEAD. Didn't need hard seats then.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    My '28 Essex has been running for at least 20 years without lead. They didn't have lead when it was made, so i figured it didn't need it when they took the lead out fuel here. Previously the lead used to build up on the seats and stems, causing burning and sticking. Since taking the lead out I haven't had to touch the valves. I rebuilt the engine 20 years ago, and the head hasn't been off since. This is a daily driver, nearly 100,000 miles up since engine done. The Essex didn't have the hardness of block that the later models had, so you definitley don't need lead substitute.

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.