Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
NEED the 54 Hornet or Super Wasp left front fender antenna
and rubber support; will probably also need the cable to
connect to the radio.

THANKS.

John Williams => jgw2@bellsouth.net

Comments

• The radio antenna is mounted on the front of the roof centered on the windshield, not on the fender. K-gap has the antenna pad for a roof mounted antenna. If you want to mount the antenna on the fender just use anything from your local parts store, Pep Boys, Autozone, J.C. Whitney, etc.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    THE 54 ANTENNA WAS ORIGNALY ON THE FRONT DRIVERS SIDE FENDER AS STATED ANY GOOD ORIGNAL TYPE ANTENNA WILL WORK THERE ARE MANY TO CHOOSE FROM THE FORD AND CHEVY SUPPLYERS HAVE ALOT OF DIFFERENT SUPPLERS TO CHOOSE FROM GOOD LUCK
  • I am by No means an expert, but the only 54s I have seen with factory installed fender antennas were the convertibles. My coupe and every sedan that I have seen with the factory radio install has the antenna above the windshield. There may have been a radio retro fit that had the antenna mounted on the left front fender. Just my observation, as I said I am no expert....
  • I'm not an expert either, but I do have a fairly good library of Hudson literature. It appears that the antennas were roof mounted through the 1956 full size Hudsons. The only exception is the Italia which had the antenna mounted on the left front fender (driver's side). I imagine that if a dealer installed a radio that for sake of ease the antenna was mounted on the front fender, but the factory installation placed the antenna on the roof.
  • Wading in too...

Hudson offered the roof top antenna for all 48-49 Hudsons as a Factory or Dealer installed option. The lower priced cars were often delivered without radios and no antenna mount. Do it yourself owners often installed a fender mount antenna to service self installed radios. The 54 Hudson did indeed have the Factory and Dealer option for a fender mount antenna. This change was brought about by the style change for that year. The roof top antenna remained as a standard feature (with the exception of convertibles)for those cars with factory installed radios. I have seen 54 convertibles with the top mounted antenna but I suspect this was a restoration or owner installlation. I have several of the dealer roof top installation kits which came with instructions for the dealer to install the antenna into cars which originally were built without radios. Hope this helps. smile.gifcool.gifsmile.gif
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I'm no expert either. Altho I have owned about 10 54 Hudsons and have a huge collection of factory material for 54 Hudsons. There were 2 radios avaliable for dealer install in 1954, either the push button or the non push button. Each radio install kit could be ordered with eithe a fender mount ant or a center windshield mount antenna. I have owned 54 Hornets with both fender install and roof install antenna.
    Additionally, the lower priced cars, of which the Wasp is one, frequently have the fender mount and non-push button radio in keeping with the more economical purchase of the car
  • This is very informative! I now must ask from the experts; please, what is the exact distance
    (inches) from the center of the antenna's correct location, to the rear edge of the driver's
    fender (dead center on top of the fender)? Hopefully someone has something in writing.

THANKS-A-MILLION!
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I think you will find just about as many answeres here as ther are cars. These were mostly dealer installed and as such the hole would be placed at the whim of the guy with the drill.
This discussion has been closed.