1952 (?) Hudson serial number

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Purchased my first Hudson, Super Wasp, 4 door, 262 engine, stick. Appears to be 1952 vintage, r.side door pillar reads #5276833, Model B. Can anyone tell me exactly what year this car is? Thanks!

Comments

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    It it's a "B", it's a 52 model. Exactly when it was built, I don't know. Maybe someone else knows.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    If it's a Super Wasp it would be either a 1953 or 1954 - there was no Wasp in 1952 (my mistake - Wasp came out in '52). On the Serial Number tag on the right front door post there should be a numeric/alpha designator, ie 5B, 6B, etc, with the serial number beneath that.

1952 designators as follows:

4B - Pacemaker 6

5B - Wasp 6

6B - Commodore 6

7B - Hornet 6

8B - Commodore 8

The first Wasps came in 1953 - designation 4C for Wasp Deluxe 6 or 5C for Wasp Super 6.

In 1954 the designators were 4D for Wasp 6 and 5D for Super Wasp 6. 1954 body styles are different from previous 1948-1953 styles.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Alex, I have never seen a 1952 Pacemaker. Having had a 1952 Wasp Hollywood and a 1952 Wasp Convertible pass through my hands, I believe they exist. You're absolutely correct with the 1954 Super Wasps. Bill Albright ended up with the convertible as it was too much project for me, having been painted with red and yellow house paint! This was back in 1972-3. They were designated as 4B models, using the parking lamp housings and lenses from the 1951 Pacemaker models and the rear tail lamp housings and lenses from the Commodore series. I had a 1952 Commodore 6 sedan as my first car.
  • 1952 was the first year for the Wasp model. Model No. is 5B. 1953 was the first year for the Super Wasp. I have a 52 Wasp Convertible Model No. 5B. My serial number is six digits starting with a 1.
  • hudsontech
    Ooooppps - I am in error - need to change my glasses. The 5B Super 6 should actually be 5B Wasp 6. It was Super Wasp (or Wasp Super) that was intro'd in 1953.

I was sitting here looking at my post and I'm thinking to myself "I know a fellow here in the New England Chapter that has a 1952 Wasp Sedan!!!!

Apologies for the confusion - I'll have to change my handbook entry.

Thank you LarryB. I noticed your post right after I posted this one.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Hi

No knocks intended here, I also have owned a 52 Wasp Hollywood and a 52 Pacemaker. While being the bottom of the barrel as far as cost is concened... the 52 Pacemaker was blessed with two pieces of one year and model only ornaments. Those being the hood ornament... affectionately called the ... COWS Tongue and the fender spears are rocketships styled.

Cheers

Ken
  • WOW, Sorry! Model was misread to me. It is a MODEL D. Post serial # reads as follows: 5276833 model D
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    Oh well then it's a '54 Super Wasp, same as mine.
  • Wow!! How time gets the better of you sometimes. 5B it is. I really enjoyed the Hollywood I had, never could keep driveline bearings and mounts in it though. I had put a full load 308 with Twin H and a B&M Hydro in it. It would light the tires any time I wanted. That one and the 52 Commodore I wish I still had. Oh, the folly of youth!
  • hIL BACK TO hUDSON, BILL ALBRIGHT HERE. RESTORED THAT RED AND YELLOW 52 WASP, USED IN ON THE LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY SHOP THEN SOLD ILT TO STEVE MCQUEEN, BOUGHT IT BACK AFTER HIS DEATH, IT IS IN WISCONSON, ONED BY A MR HUDSON, WHO HAS A LARGE HUDSON TRUCKING CO.
  • Hey Alex, it's the "guy with the 52 wasp". In all my viewing of this forum, I don't think I have seen any other mention of someone with a 52 wasp besides myself. I have 'fallen out' of the NEC, but I will be back when I can drive the 52 to a meeting, instead of Brand X. Boy, has that date slipped to the right a few times....
  • hudsontech
    Serial numbers in 1954 started at 269060 - the serial number you posted, 5276833, has to many numbers. With the "5" you wind up with a production of 5,007,773 - Hudson only produced a bit of 3 mil from 1909 thru 1954, including Essex and Terraplane.

Drop the "5" and you get 7,773 between start and your serial number. Much more realistic. I suspect you have a 5D - serial number 5D-276833. Which is, indeed, a 1954 model.

Check out my web site @ http://groups.msn.com/HudsonMotorCarCompany/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

for Hudson photos.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Hmmm, link doesn't work for me...
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    this link should lead to Alex's tech site (as opposed to his photo site) http://groups.msn.com/HudsonGeneralSpecifications/_homepage.msnw?
  • According to the info I have, the # 5276833 indicates 5=54 Super wasp, 276833is the serial # and was produced in Sept of 1953. Starting serial # was 5269075
This discussion has been closed.