Welding a Cracked intake manifold.

bobbydamit
bobbydamit Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Can a cast iron twin H intake manifold that has an ear broken off, be welded successfully and not leak or re-break. If so is there any special instructions the welder needs like use High nickel rod or preheat the entire manifold in an oven, etc.??? Or is it just a waste of my time and money and I should just buy a twin H intake?? Anyone got one for sale reasonable? Tanks!!!

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, they can be successfully welded, either oxy/acetelyne or arc or Mig. Pays to pre-heat the assembley slightly if you are arc welding. You can get special cast iron electrodes, or stainless, either will do the job fine. Grind the broken parts off so you have a good "V" between them to allow the arc weld to fill up, as it does not flow in the same as welding steel. If fusion welding, it needs to be done by someone who has done this sort of job before - requires skill, the correct iron filler rod and flux. I have successfully arc welded the flange lug back on a '29 Hudson exhaust manifold,. and have also welded flanges onto the back of Essex and Hudson manifolds to replace the original threaded collars. Good luck,

Geoff.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Check PRO-15's new products, they make a special epoxy filler just for manifold and similar problem repairs!
This discussion has been closed.