Front Shock Numbers for a Stepdown

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm having trouble getting front shocks for my '48. I've gone to NAPA, Advanced, and Car Quest. The numbers I've gotten are all "discontinued". I've given them 82026,82028, and PA15740132. If anybody has a number, THAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY CARRIES, I would appreciate it. They got a shock book, to check compressed, and extended travel, and the closest they came up with was a Gabriel 82049. 8.33" compressed, 13.5" extended. There's a slight chance this shock could "bottom-out", since stock "compressed", is around 7.5".

Comments

• Wes:

I did a seach of the Forum past posts and the following is what came up

REARS= MONROE-MATIC PLUS #31094 $22.99 EACH (REQUIRE A SLIGHT TRIM ON THE RUBBER GROMMET TO FIT)

FRONT=GABRIEL 82026 $13.99 EACH YOU MIGHT ALSO INQUIRE TO SEE ABOUT MONROE 5751 FOR THE FRONT THO I DIDN'T USE THESE ON MY CAR

Hudson Manual Says Front 7 3/4-12 Rear 13-3/16 To 21-5/16 Front: Gabriel Gas Shocks:front#82028 They Measure 8-13". Rear:#81147 Available At Autozone

Hope this helps...
  • Sorry Ken, but I'm afraid this doesn't help. Those are all the same numbers that I was armed with when I went to those parts stores. A Forum Search, plus a look at your site, is what I did to get the numbers. ALL the parts stores told me those numbers were "discontinued". They even tried cross-referencing those numbers, and they all showed "discontinued". I'm sure SOMEONE sells a replacement Front shock, I just haven't found an exact match. Car Quest is getting me the Gabriel 82049 tomorrow, but an exact replacement would be nice. If any of you have some spare time to kill, maybe you could go by "YOUR" local parts store, with those numbers, and maybe someone will have them. Maybe the guys doing the cross-referencing for me aren't the sharpest tools in the shed?
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    On an earlier shock related post someone told me the got their stepdown gas replacement shocks from Kanter Auto Parts Online and where happy with them.

I don't know any part no's or pricing and haven't called or emailed Kanter yet to get more information.

Let us all know how this comes out...
  • I got my front and rear shocks for my stepdown at Autozone, the rears were on the shelf, and the fronts took two days to get in. I got two sets of fronts, (one for me, one for my dad) and I bet I got these last fall.

(edit: I got all of my numbers off of Ken's site!)

I will head over tomorrow, and see if the number is still active, and see if they can get them in. Right off hand, I cannot remember the number.

Mine seems to ride real nice with the shocks,

SINCE I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO DRIVE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY!!!!

WOOO HOOO.....

sorry, I am still pretty excited...

can you tell?
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    yOU ARE GETTING SOME bAD INFORMATION... I know for a FACT that the the numbers I am sending you are available...I just installed them on my WASP about one month ago and I verified the numbers with the MANUFACTURE

I spent the better part of 2 weeks Buying Shocks for my 54 Wasp from Info I got from various Authorities....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 90% of it was either Outdated or just wrong

GABRIEL SHOCKS 81147 DO NOT FIT....tooooo Short had to return em

I now have on my car: Gabriel 82026 FRONT (GAS)

MONROE 31094 REAR (GAS)

They work Great and the ride is nice and firm....

Around $75 for the complete set

Depends on the part of the country you are in I supose..You may have to buy them Online..

The rears required a slight Trim to fit but everything works well...

Good Luck
  • Wes.--- I just purchased a pair of Gabriel #82026 front shocks from Car Quest for my 54 Hornet. Some clerk is giving you bad information regarding these numbers. Hudsonly,---Cliff Minard.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    As someone who has worked in Auto Parts Stores and Auto Parts Warehouses in my experience 98% of the people who work behind the counters or answer phones don't bother to make any extra effort to look up parts or make the extra phone call to help find the parts you need.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to walk behind the counter, grab the books and "show" these kids where, and how to look up parts!
  • I called the Main Distribution Center for CarQuest in Memphis, and they had 9, Gabriel 82026's in stock. He said his book showed that number was "discontinued", as far as being able to order more. Guess it pays to get a "second opinion".
This discussion has been closed.