Mystery of 1950 Serial #'s

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have been working on my 1950 C8 and was looking at the serial number. It is 50281966. According to all the info I can find the first 3 letters designates the car is a 502 series vehicle, i.e. a Commodore 6. However, I bought this from the originally owner (only has 35,123 miles!) and got all the owners manuals, etc., and everything that it has and the trim (inside and out) etc. shows it is definitely a Commodore 8, i.e. a series 504 car. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Dan White :confused:

Comments

• I have not looked up the serial number placement, but a quick guess is this car is a late in the model run vehicle which was ordered by the dealer for the customer. If my guess is correct, the factory may have diverted already assigned C6 serialized bodies to fill a special order C8 car.

The other possibility is the dealer converted the vehicle to meet the customer specifications. Not usual, but documented throughout the Stepdown model run. Hudson suggested to their dealers that adding trim from other models, preferred motors and accessories were all ways to assure the customer was a happy Hudson owner. Some earlier model Hudsons received Hornet motor retrofits via dealerships.

Good luck unreveling your mystery.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Ken:

Thanks for the reply. I would think this is the former, not the latter. This car has about every option available, except for the radio (the guy's wife used to sing in a choir so they opted to sing and not listen to the radio??), it even has Supermatic drive. From what he niece said he was a top of the line type of guy and absolutely loved Hudsons. He traded is '38 Hudson in on the C8 and only bought a 65 AMC when he could not push the clutch any longer. If this was a refit from the dealer it is a darn good one since all the paint and everything is what you would expect coming off the line.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.