49C8.Com: Putting the HUD into HUDson...

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am trying to keep my 49 relatively stock on the outside and interior upholstery (no Body mods). But the drivetrain and interior electronics are being updated to my liking.

So that being said - I've been promising to show this for sometime now but I am putting a Heads Up Display or HUD in my HUDson (sorry - it's fun to pun around with it!) The HUD display will show tach, speed, distance, oil temp/press, water temp, exhaust temp - not sure what else yet...!

defi_2sm.jpg

Pictures and text of the installation are located at my website 49C8.Com

Click on the left navigation bar Custom How To... -> HUD Display Link to see the roughed out assembly and installation.

The installation is not 100% complete and working yet but there is enough there to leave until final assembly.

I'm sure the purist's are going to hate this modification but hopefully I've done the installation simply and elegantly enough to win you over - at least for this car and its design direction!

I've not seen an installation like this in any classic car or magazine - maybe this will get me a piece in Rod and Custom!

I'm looking forward to your comments! :)

Comments

• Slick !!!!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Will it really do 247?????? hehehehe

Looking over some of your web site comments I, for one, hope someday I catch up with you to see what you've done. So far it looks like a very interesting project. A job being done well. Congratulations.

Hudsonly,

Alex B

HudsonTech
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Actually I have video of the car going 250+ - just kidding Alex! ;)

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! I can't wait to get this car on the road - it will be my daily driver when it's done.

When I look at these cars I can't figure out where American auto makers went wrong.

If they were able to build cars in the late 40's to early 50's that were of this elegance and styling, large size and only weighing in at around 3400-3800 lbs (which has to rival or beat many of todays cars in weight) - why are most new cars so non-descript and devoid of real styling details?

Anyway - I'll have this car to as many meets and shows over the next several years as I can. I hope to meet many of you along the way!
  • Of course, some of our cars could do 247 Meters per hour, rolling down hill. I'm one of those right now. Soap box derby anyone? All kidding aside, great website. I'm looking forward to the new additions as they go along. Keep up the great work!!
This discussion has been closed.