Long weekend of driving the hudson....

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just wanted to say, what a weekend, it was so awesome just "motoring" around in the hudson. I hope you guys don't get tired of hearing this, but man oh man, after having the car stored for about 15 years, finally being aboe to drive it, after no sucess last year, it was great. I guess this coming weekend, since it is sort of "sorted out" I will proceed with the mechanical portion of the project, IE... TWIN H POWER. (this should solve the exhaust leak, and I will have great access to the tappets. )

I noticed that I got a lot to do, I need to do some front end suspension/steering work, it has some "wander", I got kingpins for it, and tie rod ends, but need a few other parts.

The clutch has a little bit of chatter, that I think I will look to Dr.Doug, and send away for a set-up, clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel, matched, ready to go, and all (hopefully) set-up. I need to sell my project neon (which will likely happen this week, to generate some hudson cash flow)

I also need to paint the aircleaners, finish both sets, I got 1 set of oil bath twin H, and a set of regular filter types. Both need a little body work, are all stripped, and mostly primed.

I also think i will go back to the OD trans. Last time thru, I pulled it to swap the clutch, and it made sense at the time to just put in a standard. (which has a ton of gear noise...) I think the OD was an electrical related problem, and now I got more time to better explore. Also, My car had super matic drive, which made the wiring a bit more confusing, but I am more mature and wiser, i hope, to deal with it.

Also on the horizon is likely a wiring harness. I think that many people live in denial here, me included, I know that my harness has seen better days, and it needs replaced. I guess it is something to save for.

Finally, I am thinking about doing my interior. I know the original blue stripped cloth (which is odd, since the car is coded oriental green) is in beautiful shape on the front seat back, and all of the back seats, but the lower front cushion is ripped, torn, etc... mainly on the driver area. I think I will save the seats, and have another set recovered, in something tan or neutral, or maybe look for something close.

It just needs a lot of work, but I figure, since I am not getting my coupe for a while, might as well make this one right.

BTW, we haven't even hit on the bumpers yet... $chrome$

Hope you all have enjoyed another hudson saga.

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Ouch - 1 weekend of driving in 15 years and it sounds like you are ready to tear it down again~ ;)

Really - I'm just envious 'cause mine is no where close - but, really why not drive it this summer and enjoy it some more?
  • nope, want the twin h power experience.

now that I know that after adding this, any new problems are ones I introduced, it is time... I spent a lot of time accumulating all of the twin h stuff...

I can hardly wait...
  • I enjoy the saga, as I seem to be living in kinda the same world (I may have a bit more rust and not quite so preserved).

I love your enthusiasm, its infectious.

However, even if my coupe isn't pristine - it purrs like a kitten and sails down the highway with suprizing ease. Where I once was going to change quite a bit, the list gets shorter and shorter as far as modifications are concerned. I'm increasing impressed with what the Motor Company gave me to work with.

I can't stop for gas without it being an hour or more. A trip to the local hamburger joint brings on so much conversation that my burger gets cold. I was tonight in a parking lot of some rather sassy looking vehicles and the crowd was around the somewhat ratty Super Wasp. I've had more votes to leave it like it is than to "pretty" it up. I drove it to a job this past Monday (125 mile trip) and got the thumbs up all the way there and back.

Man! I love that car!

I'm gonna fix the rust - all of it. I'm looking over dark satin greens, and different flat green tones. I've got all the proper trim and I intend to use it. Of course its going to have a spiffed up 308. The only mechanical thing I intend to change is the tranny (T-5), and I want to be able to go back to the 3 spd should I decide to later. I'm really wanting a period type resto-rod that I can drive the heck out of and showcase Hudson's stuff both around the bodylines and under the hood.

Mark Hudson
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    kid-

what happened to the 54 coupe you were looking at?
  • kid-

what happened to the 54 coupe you were looking at?

made reasonably fair offer, no go. guy will not budge on price. figure it will be there next year, when I look at it again. Instead, I am paying off my PT cruiser, since it would be a better plan of action, since my wife is due (baby) any day now.

The problem with that Hudson, is that it is basically a number 4, it needs enough to qualify it as such, and the owners cannot get past the fact as to what it is. The hudson I have is far superior, in terms of condition, and probably a more wise move to put money into.

The other funny thing is that the more I thought about it, and talked to other people, I have doubts that the engine was rebuilt, more so a quick backyard hone was performed, the engine was never taken out of the car. While it ran real well, a rebuilt engine is going to perform better. The sellers were not upfront with the details of this, and it just seemed to me, if they were not that upfront with that, what else were they hiding?

I think it would be better to buy one from a club member, and pay more, for an upfront, and honestly represented car. I would atthis point, prefer to buy one of the many 4 door models that were in the last issue of the WTN, before paying a similar price for one that need so much more. At least when you buy a 4 door in the same price range, you get a lot more of a car.

My final thought on this is now, i have decided, that I want an automatic coupe. It has to be a hydromatic coupe, 51-54 any series. after everything calms down here in about two years, i might very well just go out and buy a done coupe, and be ahead of the game. spend the $20K upfront.

for now, i will continue to put the time and sweat into my 50, and get it to a point where it proudly shows the quality of Hudson motor cars.

At some point, I am going to grace you guys with a series of pictures of my 50, I thought about taking some yestersday, but didn;t have the camera along.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I'd like to see everyone get more pictures of their ongoing projects and restorations posted and updated regularly.

Don't wait until it's finished!

Myself, I like to see the raw, bare bones, fabrication/prep/finish - plus other ideas people come up with while building their cars. And seeing the finished ones - just makes me want to get mine done all the faster!

I say put it out there for all to see - good or bad!
This discussion has been closed.